SU carb tuning guide L16, L18

hogboy52

If sticking with the Hitachi SUs go with Z Therapy. Isn't cheap but saves frustration in the long run. Pay, put them on and enjoy the ride. Other wise there is a long learning curve working on the SUs yourself. I have a set of Hitachi flattop SUs (no not the infamous 260z flattops) they are straight off an import engine. The choke cables have been cut with bolt cutters just like a wrecking yard would use. They also still have the air adjust emissions tube (hard to explain) that are almost always removed. Came with some foam rubber air cleaners. Never got around to trying them, instead I'm running R-1 motorcycle carbs. Now that was a lesson in learning. With what I know now the SUs don't look so intimidating.

http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html Do these bolt to that SU intake or do you also have to buy a custom make intake?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The web site says "The Dual kit is for SU or ZS type manifolds and consists of 2 HSR42mm or 45mm carbs modified with extended throttle shafts,smaller float needle and seats, and larger main jets and the kit includes manifold adaptors and linage to connect to the stock rod or cable type throttle linkages."

I would like to see if anyone has tried these because I am more familiar with those carbs and how to tune them than the SU type carbs. I attached a picture of them on a L16 in a 510 that was on their web site.

mikunis_Hrevis_Picture 542.jpg

There was a guy on here a long tome ago had this.

there is also a place In Australia that does does if one can find the website 

I would get the 42 as this is already kinda big.

key is knowing what you need and hot to put it together

these do have a accel pump.

i don’t know much about the company and the customer service which they might rely more on you to Know what your doing.

i had a SU manifold but gave it away.wish I kept it and use this on my 521

2 hours ago, Draker said:

That fuel line is pretty close to the exhaust mani. Talk about vapor lock! Would need a good heat shield for sure.

His will be in a '77 620 which has a return line. Insulation wouldn't hurt it either.

• Like 1