Front hubs from 300zx on a 510 to correct track width

fivetenguy

Currently I have 280zx struts and breaks. I have been using about 1/2" spacers to clear the tie rods. I read that you can put the hubs from a 300zx (4 lug) so you don't have to run spacers. I could not find the years that would work. I was guessing an '84 300zx? Also, can I run my current brake setup (rotors and calipers) if I upgrade to these hubs? I believe the bearings are the same?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. And to be more clear, what I meant by "almost the same brake setup" is that the rotors are almost as big, and the calipers are almost as big and of similar design. They're not interchangeable, though. I was incorrect about the 300zx rotor bolt circle. It is the same as 280zx, but you can see that other factors are not the same, notably the diameters and the overall height, which includes them being different offsets with respect to the hubs. The 200sx rotors are just slightly smaller diameter and thickness than the 280zx, while the 300zx are bigger than the 280zx. I still think the 200sx setup is a good choice if you're trying to fit a higher offset wheel and/or just want the wheel out further.

280zx:

* Overall Height: 1.15"

* Overall Diameter: 9.92"

* Bolt/Holes: 4

* Bolt Circle Diameter: 103mm

* Center Hole Diameter: 3.19"

* Nominal Thickness: .79"

* Discard Thickness: .71"

* Type: Vented

S12 200sx 4-lug:

* Overall Height: .87"

* Overall Diameter: 9.83"

* Bolt Circle Diameter: 95mm

* Center Hole Diameter: 2.88"

* Nominal Thickness: .71"

* Discard Thickness: .63"

300zx 4-lug:

* Overall Height: 1.40"

* Overall Diameter: 10.78"

* Bolt Circle Diameter: 103mm

* Center Hole Diameter: 3.19"

* Nominal Thickness: .87"

* Discard Thickness: .79"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the 280zx struts and was just about to take the hubs off the rotors to do bearings and noticed that they looked offset differently so I compared them to the 510s and the 510s looks as if they have a half inch spacer built into the rotor almost. Then I found this post and my hunch is correct. So I am wondering the same question. I tried using the 510 hub and the spindle is too large now with the 280zx struts so that wont work. I remember hearing if you can find front hubs from a early 300zx they will work. But why would calipers be an issue? Arnt the calipers behind the hub? Or is the issue that the 280zx rotors will not work with the 300zx hubs and thus you would need rotors and calipers as well from the 300zx? Does it need to be a non turbo to be 4 lug? I know of a 87 turbo in my area I might be able to get the brakes from. Lastly does it make more sense just to run a spacer?