anyone in the Carolinas have a front drive shaft?

Gearheadcurt

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, if it's a 4-speed, look for the square plate on the bottom. Pretty good indication of a shorttail 4-speed that way. While it's POSSIBLE it has the Datsun 610 Car transmission (the only longtail bottom-pan 4-speed manual out there) that would have been a ridiculous swap considering how rare 610s were and the amount of effort needed to make the swap.

That makes a big difference.

But, with the automatic means that any Automatic 620 front driveshaft section will work, and while my interchange manual says differently, experience says any 75-79 620 front driveshaft section will work.

That of course doesn't make it any easier to find in the Carolinas.

The U joint can be replaced. They don't just blow up without letting you know first. It will make a high pitched squeak when the bearings go dry. Often they bind and come loose with a loud 'ping' sound when you let the clutch out. If the yoke is damaged then it came apart and would have vibrated like hell first. Try too find an early 720 drive shaft and have the yoke cut off and welded onto the front of yours. Cheaper than shipping a d/s

Not all. There are two frame lengths so a longer and shorter rear drive shaft is used. The length difference is behind the cab and positions the rear axle differently.

The regular cab short wheelbase is the shortest and has a bed with 4 hooks along the side.

The regular cab long wheelbase is about 9.5" longer and has a box with 5 hooks along the side. The King Cab also uses the long wheelbase frame.

Is this a 4wd? I only ask because you say front driveshaft.

Have you tried the local driveline shop? The usually have everything need to build a complete shaft. If it's the rear you should be able to do away with the carrier beading, especially if your lowered.

Last shaft I got was about $250.

ok update,

I got a front drive shaft (front half) and put a new U joint in it good as new

and ya the other one was pretty screwed

and one mile later the rear blew up.... and it's screwed as well

I'll take pics soon

I guess thats just my luck

I have a short bed, reg cab

anyone? haha

The U joint can be replaced. They don't just blow up without letting you know first. It will make a high pitched squeak when the bearings go dry. Often they bind and come loose with a loud 'ping' sound when you let the clutch out. If the yoke is damaged then it came apart and would have vibrated like hell first.

and one mile later the rear blew up.... and it's screwed as well

I guess thats just my luck

Luck has little to do with this. No way this can happen without you knowing it was going to happen. They drive for months with lots of warning. Only in extreme cases is the yoke damaged.