Hello, I am the NFG

skooby_doo

Hows it goin? I am the new guy...names James, and I currentlly reside in Alamogordo, NM. Shitty for me, but great buys out here! I just scored a 1969 Datsun 520/521 for fairly cheap! It has a total of 3 cancer spots in the entire truck, and unfortunatley, it looks like some teenager owned it before I got a hold of it. This person seems to have thought he was the best spray bomber this side of the ole Mississippi! That, and the asshole loved his stickers! There isn't an inch in between all of the damn stickers on the dash. I am not a happy camper about this, but I will take what I can get! On to the questions I need answered!!! The truck is titled as a 521, the tag on the firewall is there, and has a matching engine code to the 1300 that is under the hood. The fenders also had the "Datsun 1300" emblems. All of the research that I have done (which isn't much) has said that the 520's were produced from 1965-1968 under the same body design. The 521's were produced from 1969-1972. Did Datsun have too many 1300 engines to carry over into 1969, and just used them until they were gone? Do I have a Blacksheep Truck? I will get pictures of the vin tag on the firewall later. Thanks for any help!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand the 520/521, the J13 motor was installed in the L520 and was kept even into the 521 the the first year 521. So the 521 began production in Oct '68

The first L16 motor was in the PL521 starting in July '69. Any 521s before that were equipped with the J13 motor and called an L521. The first L521 (J13) was built in Oct '68 and the last in June '69 (see first sentence)

dat521gatherer, thanks for the help...i'm kinda new at this entire forum thing, but it seems that I have come to the right place for help, chat, etc. etc.!!! Thanks to everyone else for all of the support, and the different ideas to keep this truck MINE!!! "RATSUN RULES!!!" as we all chant in a station wagon driving off the side of a cliff!!! HA HA!!!