SU's Setups

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I knew I felt my ears buring a couple days ago...I thought it was because I was out in the sun...

Im making a custom box cuz the regular filters dont fit with the 620 booster. the back carb is only like 1.5in from the break booster :blink:

Zerows write up for using VW filters to make SU filters is a good one, super easy.

I made some before I realized they wouldnt fit lol

Yeah, 38mm. Filters are modified VW filters. There is a writeup on here by zerow if you want to know how they are done.

zerow's filters are becomming very popular im gonna run them with mine when i get around to my su's

there cheap and easy :lol:

very cost effective solution indeed. I recall Zerow used EMPI filters, but I got similar filters from Scat. They're in my hood so it was easy to get. Made both for under $20, that is hard to beat.

I found better air filter assemblies for the lids, the backings MUST remain flat to mount to the carb correctly, so the expensive EMPI filters still do a good job of that...

Here are pics of my SUs with the 'new & improved' lids and wingnuts (more of a classy hot rod look)

Picture847.jpg

Picture848.jpg

Wow, I knew I felt my ears buring a couple days ago...I thought it was because I was out in the sun...

Zerow... where did you get these new lids... they are sweet... Are they still 6"

I found better air filter assemblies for the lids, the backings MUST remain flat to mount to the carb correctly, so the expensive EMPI filters still do a good job of that...

Here are pics of my SUs with the 'new & improved' lids and wingnuts (more of a classy hot rod look)

Picture847.jpg

Picture848.jpg

I certainly have the valve cover ready for it! Just need a bay worthy of it. I imagine this valve cover with polished SU domes and either the current filterhousing painted to match or something simple and sexy like Wizard and June.

P9250031.jpg

How about a Katana and a Wakidaisho set on the filter cover? Sword stand optional.

Yep! Been that way for about a year now and I'm still liking the performance Vs oil. But I have my SU's Tuned quite strangely as well ;)

Can you guys explain this for SU noobs like me? When you said dry, I though you meant dry waterpassages in the manifold, but you mean oil?

Logical, another sick looking setup for sure! Where did you get the stacks?

Can you guys explain this for SU noobs like me? When you said dry, I though you meant dry waterpassages in the manifold, but you mean oil?

Logical, another sick looking setup for sure! Where did you get the stacks?

The Black knobs on top of your SU's is the "dash pot" it has a little brass 'weight' in it that when you stomp on your accelerator the oil in the 'dash pot' slows the piston from rising to quickly and forces your mixture to stay a little richer until you reach speed. I have the 'high performance SU turning guide' and people argue on what is the best oil & dome spring to use. For my crazy SU set-up I decided to go with a stiff dome spring and no oil so when I stomp on it, I get a slightly leaner mixture but bigger airflow. Unless your certified crazy such as myself I recommend keeping a little oil in the domes :) Hope that helps!