SU's Setups

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny I just posted about my setup today. I am very new to SUs so I don't have any answers, but the guy (Chris of Maine)who built this LZ22 engine used a K14 manifold (Which I am learning came on the JDM 1800sss.) w/ epoxied marine plywood spacers, blended to taper these 46mm Z Therapy carbs to the bore of the K14 manifold.

This also let him use the 4 mounting bolts of the z carb (Only 2 go into the manifold).

I wouldn't think wood and an engine would mix, but Chris has put so many damn miles on this set up that I am a believer for sure. A pretty ratsun solution!

Are you running the L16 in your dime?

1025095005_AJoPv-X3.jpg

I am interested to see what people do as far as air filters go...

Im making a custom box cuz the regular filters dont fit with the 620 booster. the back carb is only like 1.5in from the break booster :blink:

Zerows write up for using VW filters to make SU filters is a good one, super easy.

I made some before I realized they wouldnt fit lol

4964647760_18a683ac70_z.jpg

Damn Jun. I love everything about your goon, but this engine bay is just so sweet. Like opening a jewlery box when you lift the hood.

I am really looking forward to cleaning mine up!

Mike, Where do you get filters like yours? I like them.

What size are they?

I have no idea Enrique. They came with them... maybe from Japan. No markings on them. The choke cables were cut like the motor was cut out of a car at a wrecking yard. I think imported JDM motors came here like that???

Damn Fisch, you have to use grease to get that airfilter housing in there?:lol: Looks like a major undertaking to change the air filter element.

I know right! Doesn't look quite as bad from the other side though. I am torn really. This airfilter housing is a MASSIVE canvas for me to paint some cool stuff on, BUT, I am also a fan of clean engine bays, and something this big makes it a bit congested. Maybe when I get all the paint off of there and try to polish it up and paint something like a dragon on it I will be OK with it.

Wizard's bay, Jun's bay... that is how clean I'd like this thing to look when you lift the hood. I also love a ratty exterior with a bay that clean. Makes the rattiness look intentional.

1025095039_t2ny3-M.jpg

I certainly have the valve cover ready for it! Just need a bay worthy of it. I imagine this valve cover with polished SU domes and either the current filterhousing painted to match or something simple and sexy like Wizard and June.

P9250031.jpg