77 710 wagon, anyone ever seen one?

77kermit

I'm fairly new to this so forgive me if I ramble a bit, it's just my style. My name is James and I picked this sweet ride up about nine months ago on Vashon Island, so far I've only ever seen one other 710 (unsure of the year) in halfway decent shape in Seattle. I'd like to know if the owner is on here and maybe willing to sell parts or even (gasp) the whole car. If not I figure no real loss, I just want it for the bumper (for now). Anyway, this is my 710 project. It came with 36,542 original miles with all the receipts for the past thirty years, I even have the original sales receipt from 1977 framed :). I've upgraded the stereo, keeping the original AM in case I get nostalgic, I added a cd player to the under glove box storage tray, with subs and speakers in the way back covered by some faux fur to hide my mdf custom boxes. With all the weight back there it looks like I lowered the back end three inches, kinda gives it a funny semi-aggressive appearance, depending on how you look at it... I just did the weber conversion as my old hitachi was needing a good bath, and now I can't get it to stop dieseling even though I finally figured out how to hook up the anti dieseling solenoid (utterly ridiculous I know, but I've never had to switch out a carb before, my old truck was the only other carburated vehicle I had and I sold it within a year so I never got around to messing with it). Also for some reason my mileage went from 30ish mpg with the hitachi to 18ish mpg with the weber, jets maybe? So I've cleaned the hitachi out and plan to put it back in one of these weekends, I have a few more gaskets to make before I can do a proper install, so it might be awhile :mellow: . No pictures of the weber install yet, it's too ugly with the stock manifold and all those hoses sticking out every which way for me to bear taking a picture of it. I do have pictures of the stock setup as well as some of the upgrades I've done, since it's still running like a champ (more or less) I'm mostly trying to deal with the cosmetic issues right now. Anyone have any info on where I could get a good intake and exhaust manifold that supports the weber, or I guess I should say doesn't support the many smog control devices under the hood? Also a nicer rear bumper would be fantastic, I got rear-ended by a 90's nissan sentra (go figure). Here's some photo's from the first month (after installing the tunes, shnazzy shift knob, sportier steering wheel, and covering the vinyl seats up, they still look good but vinyl and summer heat is a bad combination)

2668549_1_full.jpg

2668549_2_full.jpg

2668549_3_full.jpg

2668549_4_full.jpg

The tunes are essential

2668549_5_full.jpg

I actually really like the original carb and cold air-intake system, I just don't have another car right now so I have to have this one drive-able while I clean the hitachi, anyone want to sell a dirt cheap commuter?

2668549_6_full.jpg

Here's the interior before I added any electronics or cloth, this was from only a week after I bought it, and yes it's a dish towel thats around the shifter, I lost it on I-5 in tacoma and had to put something more permanent and less cheesy/drafty in :cool:

2668549_9_full.jpg

2668549_10_full.jpg

Hope you like my ride, and if anybody knows where to get good cheap exhaust work done I'd love to know. I cut the resonator out a few weeks ago and got the wrong size of flexible pipe from autozone (my fault I trusted a muffler guy who said it had inch and a half pipe, silly rabbit trix are for kids), even though it sounded hardcore without any muffler (it briefly sounded like my old chevy v8, got some good looks that day :D), I still reconnected the muffler and now it rattles more than it did with the busted resonator. I'd like to upgrade the whole thing and have it done right, so in particular I should say I'm looking for someone who'll do it for cash, and who won't insist on putting a catalytic converter on, it's never had one and I've been getting conflicting info from some shops about whether I can keep it that way, not sure if they're trying to pull a fast one and make an extra buck or if there really are rules for such things. So any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Fixin' to be a lot better, man-

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always liked the 610/710s. Probably because they are closer looking to the 620. Had a 521 and it's closer to the 510. (I think) This is in great shape (like the door knob shifter) except for the strut towers it looks like the 620 under the hood. Does it have the standard shift pattern with reverse below 5th?

but if it were a five then yes reverse would be below fifth, I'd like to get a five speed for it though I'm not sure how much fabrication, if any, would be needed to make it work. I'd also like a posi rear end someday:), emphasis on the someday...

-The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving-

but if it were a five then yes reverse would be below fifth, I'd like to get a five speed for it though I'm not sure how much fabrication, if any, would be needed to make it work. I'd also like a posi rear end someday:), emphasis on the someday...

-The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving-

Measure the length from the engine to the tail stock end. If it's about 31" it's a long tail and any '77-'79 620 or '80 2wd 720 truck 5spd and any '78-'83 280zx 5spd (with the exception of the Borg Warner unit) will fit right in. There may be others.

You have a solid axle rear end? Coils or leaf springs?

I got one for free, actually $50 for the regi and 70ish for the tow, hadn't run in 10 years, fired up on the gas in the tank. I ended up giving it to my brother for his birthday, ugly but pretty cool cars.

Website link http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6404&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=710

do you mean where the rear axle hooks up to the tranny? It has leaf springs in the back. I'll look at my book about the rear axle.

From the engine to the start of the drive shaft. It'll be either about 31" or 26".

If it has rear leaf springs it'll be a solid axle like the earlier 510 wagons.

I've seen a 710 in person before. someone in highschool had one back before I was even into Datsuns. I just remember it being a big ugly green stationwagon... might have been a 1979 or 80 model though. (if they even made them that late)

yours looks to be in good shape. those are really rare. I never see a 610 or 710 on craigslist

I know where there is a yellow wagon, been sitting there for quite a while. It's out on the street so not that long or the city would have orange tagged it to be towed. Doesnt have for sale signs in it though.

I dont remember if it is a 610 or a 710.

Jason

I've seen a 710 in person before. someone in highschool had one back before I was even into Datsuns. I just remember it being a big ugly green stationwagon... might have been a 1979 or 80 model though. (if they even made them that late)

I think production ended in '77 and it was replaced with the dreaded RWD 'Stanza' till '82.

Hey yello620 would you tell me where its at? I got a 610 wagon that needs some tlc, maybe they would part with it? Thanks NWO

Newberg, OR. Its on eighth street behind Edwards Elementary School.

Drove by it today and noticed that both bumpers have small dents in them and the left front bumper cap is kinda tore up. The left front fender also had a small little dent in it. Cant see the right side without getting out of the car and snooping. The neighbor is an old man that sits in his recliner and watches everything too. Have to catch him at nap time.

Jason

• 1 month later...

So I've been staying busy with work and haven't had much time for anything really fun lately, finally was able to score some good wrenching time this last weekend and cleaned out the smog equipment that was no longer in use. found that the tailpipe was leaving black streaks of something wet behind it, was a bit dismayed until I tore the smog pump off and found a bunch of sooty black water in it. Now it's slightly cleaner, but I'm still having other troubles with this setup, so here come the pictures and the new questions. I forgot to measure the transmission to see if a five speed will bolt right on, will try to do that tomorrow.

P1010005.jpg

The engine bay, many thanks to Danny for the good looking valve cover

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Here's my biggest question, there wasn't enough room to hookup both the weber and the egr valve, so I fashioned a block off plate and called it good, I'm looking for a high rise so that I can hook it back up, but I'm not sure if it really needs one, there are no smog laws here so I'm not worried about that, should I be concerned? Also is the canister hookup necessary, or can I clean that out of there also. Right now I have a line from the gas tank evaporation system, another line coming out of the weber and a line to the vacuum port on the distributor. I've seen the distributor hooked up to just the carb on my other car, does that mean I still need this on this one?

Speaking of my other car I found this one in seattle this last weekend, picked it up for 300 and drove it home. It has many more issues than kermit, but it works and if I can get it going well enough I'll use it for work from here on out. Check out the gnarly rattle-can paint job, somebody had lots of fun that day... :D

P1010006.jpg

At last a use for this steering wheel out of a Z I found a while back!

P1010007.jpg

kinda matches the rusty floorpan :)

The hose to the distributor is for the vacuum advance and is needed for off idle performance and mileage. It has nothing to do with the emissions so don't disconnect it. Make sure it is connected to the proper vacuum port on the Weber and not manifold vacuum.

It'll run fine if the block off is air tight. Your only concern is that emissions tampering is illegal but in many areas no one checks so no one knows so no one cares right? I would hang on to all the old parts and keep in a box, just in case.

The charcoal cannister collects gas fumes from the tank and the carb when shut off and then sucks the fumes into the carb intake to burn them off. I'd leave them alone to prevent any smells... but whatever you want.

I also have that style wheel in my truck.

Wow, what a good condition 710. Nice find

77 710 wagon, anyone ever seen one?
I reckon everyone over 25 years of age has seen one, though maybe they didn't recognize it. These were fairly common 30 years ago.

here in WA hes emissions exempt so it dont matter anymore what he does with it.
You mean exempt from emission test requirements. He's still under emission control law.

18 mpg? Put that Hitachi back on, while you find the right jets for the Weber. Give the Hitachi a quick external cleaning. Don't take it apart -- that won't make it work any better (it's already delivering 30 mpg).

Why do you want a LSD, is that engine putting out so much torque the tires are spinning at every stoplight? :-)

Although I will probably never do it to my car, if anything it's getting taller.

As far as anyone seeing one I should point out that I'm only 24, and that I never knew about datsuns until I got to college. Kinda sad really.

The LSD is only after I get a new engine/transmission setup. For now I'm going to rock the L20B and see how far it can take me.

Switching carbs this week, have to put a new clutch in kermit, so I might as well get the carb done too.