My 1970 521, Harold

gorillabear

I figured I'd start a thread here for my 521. I sent my wife a cell phone pic when I arrived to pick him up and she promptly named him Harold. Got a few plans in store for him, not sure what all I'm going to do though. I'm going to be selling my 510 and this will be my new daily.

521a.jpg

521b.jpg

521c.jpg

521d.jpg

Just picked up this L20B for him and it's getting a rebuild from Dr. 510.

L20B.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Score!

When I bought my 521, I really couldn't stand that color. (I thought it was the light/mint green in the CL ad.) But I'll tell you what, I am loving that green. There have been alot of this green popping up in the forums as of late. Makes me love my truck that much more, every time I see it.

Love the truck. Keep it going. And of course...OICS!

Thanks everyone! The color is staying for sure, I'm going to try to clean up the ugly spots on the fenders at some point. Unfortunately the PO painted the engine bay and the inside of the doors with black paint... and didn't mask anything. All of the electrical and most of the components under the hood are black too, it's awesome! :blink:

I like the slotted mags as well but I'm not sure if they'll fit for the brake upgrade. Lots to do and no time or money to do it with. :lol:

Anyone have some old bumperettes that would fit this truck? Looking for some cheap ones that need work.

Finding a set of "cheap" rear bumperettes may not be easy, if you want a set that looks decent. Most got thrown away when people installed those hideous large steel bumpers that you see on most old imports. I had a set of really nice used ones, and they went for a very pretty penny on ebay a year ago or two so. Finding them isn't too hard, but finding a set that isn't bent/rusted isn't easy. Be prepared to spend $100 for a good set. Make sure they come with the mounting brackets, because those aren't easy to find either.

I wouldn't mind a beat up/rusty set of bumperettes. They'd match everything else on the outside. :) Sorry we missed you guys at the meet the other night.

I have a gas door, thanks though! The bolts are all snapped off so it's going to take some work to get the gas door back on.

• 3 months later...

I haven't posted in a few months but there has been some progress with Harold. I did the front disc brake swap and upgraded the master cylinder. The rear got 3" lowering blocks but it still needs to come down more. I pulled the horns and sandblasted them but haven't decided on a paint color for them. I also replaced my passenger side fender but no luck on finding a matching fuel door or drivers side fender yet!

The L20 and head are now done thanks to Keith at Action Speed & Machine. Richard has the L20 block mostly assembled and took the L16 out on Friday (thanks again!)

Today Richard towed me over to my shop where I'm going to try to clean the engine bay up before the motor goes back in. Stripping all this spray paint off is slow going but I'm just tenacious enough to get it done (I hope). Here are some before pics and all the after pics from today. I'm hoping to get this thing back to it's original color under the hood by the end of the weekend.

Pulled motor (all stickers, wires, components are sprayed black, note the overspray up toward the windshield)

7engine1.jpg

Day one of paint removal, spent most of my time on the front support, tested some down on the firewall and cleaned up under the windshield on the right. It's really slow to come off where he sprayed it thick

7engine3.jpg

Under the hood (he sprayed the trim too)

7engine2.jpg

Is that hardwood flooring under there?!?

7engine4.jpg

The doors are sprayed THICK as well

7engine7.jpg

Can't wait to make some door panels

7engine5.jpg

Hoping to get started on the interior this weekend too but everything under the hood is priority until the motor goes in.

7engine6.jpg

Is that a flattop piston for the L20???????

I wouldnt recommentd a flattop for a L20 myself on a street gas pump daily driver myself unless you guys have maybe 93 octane

Oops. Too late. :)

And I found out on Sunday that the reason the PO sprayed everything black is because a battery exploded at some point under the hood. Thanks for not telling me buddy! :fu: The entire passenger side firewall has no original paint, just rust and spray paint now. Debating whether or not to try to get it sprayed this week or just leave it for now and put the block back in. This is my daily so I'm leaning toward just getting the truck back up and running. There are quite a few things I'd like to do if I'm going to repaint it and there isn't nearly enough time to get them done.

Here is how it sits right now, although I've cleaned the undercarriage since these pics:

eng3b.jpg

eng3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oops. Too late. :)

And I found out on Sunday that the reason the PO sprayed everything black is because a battery exploded at some point under the hood. Thanks for not telling me buddy! :fu: The entire passenger side firewall has no original paint, just rust and spray paint now. Debating whether or not to try to get it sprayed this week or just leave it for now and put the block back in. This is my daily so I'm leaning toward just getting the truck back up and running. There are quite a few things I'd like to do if I'm going to repaint it and there isn't nearly enough time to get them done.

Here is how it sits right now, although I've cleaned the undercarriage since these pics:

eng3b.jpg

eng3.jpg

You sqeegees set on the way now.Tracking number:RF788678663TH.Nice 521.

• 1 month later...

New motor is in, courtesy Dr. 510! Still lots (tons!) of work to be done in the looks department but this is my daily so getting it on the road is priority one right now. More photos to come but for now...

Can anyone tell me how much width there is between the rear license plate and the bumperette? I don't have the bumperettes yet so I'm not sure where they sit but I'm trying to figure out where to route the exhaust out. Any help would be great.

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg