Stock 510 rear drum brake shoe positions.

69dime

What is the proper position of the shoes on a 510 drum setup? I have 2 different shoes for each side (1 trailing and 1 leading, I assume). I can't find a decent picture online or in a manual. Both Haynes and the Nissan manual (Clymer) have different pictures but none detailed enough.

The lining on 1 is more toward the narrow part of the shoe, and on the other it is spaced back from the narrow part of the shoe.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant remember but figure the parking brake ARM part will get pulled(a square hole?) and youll figure that shoe will go there unless its a unisex type part where it dont matter

Yeah, they both have the square hole and I figured for that, but does the square on the other one then go at the top since this is at the bottom? They are obviously different shoes because of the lining positions.

Leading and trailing simply mean front and back shoe, leading is to the front of the vehicle.

The lining on 1 is more toward the narrow part of the shoe, and on the other it is spaced back from the narrow part of the shoe.

Some wheel cylinders are at the top, I think the 510 are at the top. Either way, if you go from the wheel cylinder to the shoe which is in the direction the wheel will turn, that shoe, should have the lining attached closest to the wheel cylinder. Or more to the top. The opposite shoe has the lining attached further from the wheel cylinder or closer to the bottom.

Leading and trailing simply mean front and back shoe, leading is to the front of the vehicle.

Some wheel cylinders are at the top, I think the 510 are at the top. Either way, if you go from the wheel cylinder to the shoe which is in the direction the wheel will turn, that shoe, should have the lining attached closest to the wheel cylinder. Or more to the top. The opposite shoe has the lining attached further from the wheel cylinder or closer to the bottom.

The 510, or at least mine, are at the bottom (unlike the picture in the manual). Wouldn't that make this the opposite?

Not so sure about that after looking at the shoes. Isn't there a picture of this somewhere that is correct, unlike the manual?

If this roadster picture below is the same as on a 510, and done correctly, it tells me what I need to know - note the square holes both in the bottom position on both of the new shoes (although that contradicts what I said on the line above this one. I see conflicting pictures everywhere!) This was how I had it setup to begin with, having one narrow part in the wheel cylinder.

rear_axle_done.jpg

That picture came from here: http://www.wheatfarm.com/spl310/index.html

I'm sure the reasoning for having square "holes" on both is so they can be used for different cars, but it gives me a reference point on how these should go, if only someone can verify this for me.

Here's my current setup. Is this correct? This is my passenger side.

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I just did mine. The shoes I got had square holes on both shoes, but only on one end. The square holes ALWAYS go towards the wheel cylinder, otherwise you won't be able to install the anti-rattle springs.

As for if yours are correct, well, it looks like you have one shoe right and the other wrong. They're oriented opposite of each other, and should be the same. By "the same" I don't mean mirrored, I mean clocked the same way, with the lining leading (or trailing) on both. You have the rear shoe trailing and the front one leading in your picture.

Problem is, no 2 brake systems appear to be alike and there seems to be a lot of dissension on whether the "meaty" part should lead, or trail.

It's near impossible without pictures. And I don't even know if mine are right, because when I took mine off the linings had debonded and had fallen off.

Anyhow, the shoes I have all have square holes on one end.

The square hole is for the parking brake arm. It's only used on the rear shoe, but all 4 shoes have them. If they didn't, that would make life a little easier. You'd know which were the front shoe, at least, since only the rear shoe needs it. But the shoes were designed to fit several models, some had top cylinders and some had bottom.

Reality is that the 2 REAR shoes should be identical, and the front 2 shoes should be identical. But they won't be the same front/rear.

What it looks like to me is you have them backwards. At least compared to mine they are. They're installed similar to how the other picture you have, except those have totally different clocking to the linings. I ran into the same problem- if I lined the linings up to how they were in the car, the square holes would be up and they can't be, they have to be down. At first I thought maybe you had them crossed up, but that's physically impossible, you have a pair on each side, that I can tell.

Well, one way to know if you got it right is drive forward and pull the parking brake. Then do reverse. If it stops better going backwards you have them on wrong. If it stops better going forward than it's probably right, and if it's indifferent then I guess it won't make much difference.

Well, on mine the narrow pointy end went on the piston side of the wheel cylinder- that's always the rear shoe on the 510 Wagon. That's how you have it on the driver's side but not the passenger side, which has the pointy end on the immobile side of the wheel cyl. Right and left should be mirror images of each other.

OK, that's helpful. but all shoes have narrow pointy ends, what about the other shoe on that side? That one should connect the pointy end at the adjuster or also at the wheel cylinder?

I'm also confused by your post above. That seems to contradict this:

As for if yours are correct, well, it looks like you have one shoe right and the other wrong. They're oriented opposite of each other, and should be the same. By "the same" I don't mean mirrored, I mean clocked the same way, with the lining leading (or trailing) on both. You have the rear shoe trailing and the front one leading in your picture.

If driver's side orientation is correct then the 240z Manual is more accurate, although it shows I have the wrong shoes in place (leading vs. trailing), but the right orientation on the driver's side. I think this makes the most sense. I will follow this diagram and mirror it on the other side. I think the wrong pair is on each side on mine right now.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/Brake/RearBrake/ToJul76/tabid/1735/Default.aspx

Mirrored side-to side, not mirrored on the same wheel. It's totally possible to put both front shoes on one side and both rear shoes on the other. Then, they would have a mirror look on that side, but look upside-down compared to the other. I've taken truck shoes off that were installed that way.

**NOTE** when I say front/rear I'm not referring to the front axle. Everything here is on the rear axle only. Normally I'd say leading/trailing shoe, but in the 510 the damn thing is installed upside-down from normal, and clocked 30 degrees off center, which makes the leading shoe the rear shoe and that just confuses everyone.

The wheel cylinder only has one piston (unlike some designs that are dual piston).

So, tapered end of the REAR shoes goes in the piston on BOTH sides of the car.

On the FRONT shoes, the tapered end goes up, in the adjuster, on both sides of the car.

Otherwords, the front shoes should be identical and placed with the taper end up, and wide end down. These shoes have the square hole on the wide end.

The rear shoes have the taper end down, wide end up. These shoes have the square hole on the taper end.

In the package of shoes I got, there are only 2 kinds of shoes. I've seen cars where all 4 shoes are different.

OK, I will try to make something work. After re-reading and re-reading this thread, the only part that makes sense is that the squares are always at the bottom (with the wheel cylinder at the bottom), and the following, although I'm not sure how much faith I have in this:

So, tapered end of the REAR shoes goes in the piston on BOTH sides of the car.

On the FRONT shoes, the tapered end goes up, in the adjuster, on both sides of the car.

Otherwords, the front shoes should be identical and placed with the taper end up, and wide end down. These shoes have the square hole on the wide end.

The rear shoes have the taper end down, wide end up. These shoes have the square hole on the taper end.

In the package of shoes I got, there are only 2 kinds of shoes. I've seen cars where all 4 shoes are different.

It still doesn't tell me which shoe has the material more towards the wheel cylinder. There seems to be confusion as to that also, but I'm hoping that they can fit go one way at that point, with the squares on the bottom of both.

The

Ok I mirrored the driver side on the passenger side. If the squares go at the bottom on all shoes these are the only 2 ways it could work. This places the lining on both shoes more towards the top away from the wheel cylinder which doesn't seem right and conflicts with the statement about the lining closer to the wheel cylinder (on either shoe - they are both closer to the adjuster). Anyway that's what I went with.