petronix ignitor to make electronic ignition

burrito213

i have been speaking with a technician at petronix for weeks now regarding the ignitor for the dizzy on the J series engines. this option can convert your standard dizzy to electronic ignition which makes for good and better stuff. the technician is going to see what the dizzy looks like and bench test using their testing machine to make sure what ever ignitor they use will be the right one for that specific dizzy.

i asked him if he can confirm that part no. 1741 will be the correct ignitor for this application but he said he needs to test the dizzy to make sure that item will work or it might be a custom ignitor for that specific dizzy.

this is what i hope to accomplish:

- it offers an alternative to buying a EI dizzy from a later model truck/car and taking apart the J series dizzy, meshing them together, and making a dizzy that way. this will eliminate the headache for the mechanically challenged.

- it will give anyone who is interested in making a electronic ignition for their J series engine the exact part number or information to go that route if they so choose to.

- since i am talking to the technicians who test and make this product, it will confirm what will work

- it will give the interested the exact "what to buy" if interested in the ignitor, coil, wires... basically make it easy for anyone interested.

i am sure and well aware that there are some guru's out there that know this stuff but there are some people who are at their first time at the rodeo of restoration and would like exact information to comfort they're souls.

why am i doing this?... i dont have the money for trial and error. i am learning and found out the hard way that if it isnt exactly what you need, then you wasted your money. i cant do that no more and it wouldnt be right if someone who wants this option not be given the correct parts or part number. i'm looking out for the people who have the passion for restoration and keeping datsuns alive but have to stay within a budget.

i am sending my dizzy in soon and will let you know exactly what i know when i find out. ;)

if this doesnt interest you then cool but if it does then stay tuned and i will let you know whats up soon. :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar but not the same. Late E1 engines might take a J13 dist, but the pertronix doesn't fit in the E1 dist, at least not the one I have.

Basically, if the dist uses the same points it probably can use the same ignitor setup, though that only guarantees the plate will bolt in, not that the magnet ring will fit. On the late J13 dist (and "Mexican" J15 dists) the distributor "body" is identical to the 1968-69 L16 dist body. Standard Hitachi singlepoint dist body, even the A-series engines used it.

• Like 1

thanks for the info datsunaholic

Similar but not the same. Late E1 engines might take a J13 dist, but the pertronix doesn't fit in the E1 dist, at least not the one I have.

Basically, if the dist uses the same points it probably can use the same ignitor setup, though that only guarantees the plate will bolt in, not that the magnet ring will fit. On the late J13 dist (and "Mexican" J15 dists) the distributor "body" is identical to the 1968-69 L16 dist body. Standard Hitachi singlepoint dist body, even the A-series engines used it.

So you have Pertronix 1741 installed on a J series distributor?

Can you post pic of it?

so i went and spoke to the techs. it is definately worth going down there to check it out if you are in doubt about going this option. they are in san dimas california.

but if you decide you want EI for a J series engine, it is #1741.

i hope this helps. if not, ust fyi.

So the 1741 part # which is a L16 singlepoint fits?

it uses the same plate correct and the magnet ring sit seculy on the dist lobes,nice and tight.

If All YES,

you should redo this and make lots of photos and put in the HOW TO section.

L16?,,,, i cant confirm that

i know datsunaholic said there is a likeness with the mexican dizzy for the L16 but i cant confirm it.

i would post a how to but it is pretty straight foward. i mainly just wanted to confirm this part number for those interested.

i hope this helps anyone interested