Windshield Removal.. Help please?

Hey, I'm looking for some help on how to remove a windshield. It's the glued in type, so there isn't a seal to worry about popping out or saving. I got the knives and the wire as directed in the factory service manual, but I don't want to mess this up; it's a rare piece of glass, and it's really important to me.

Can anybody give me any pointers?

Or, if there's anybody who knows what they're doing in the Portland area, I'd really like to talk with you about it, and possibly get you to come help me remove it. I will make it worth your time. Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm looking for some help on how to remove a windshield. It's the glued in type, so there isn't a seal to worry about popping out or saving. I got the knives and the wire as directed in the factory service manual, but I don't want to mess this up; it's a rare piece of glass, and it's really important to me.

Can anybody give me any pointers?

Or, if there's anybody who knows what they're doing in the Portland area, I'd really like to talk with you about it, and possibly get you to come help me remove it. I will make it worth your time. Thanks!

I had a windshield removed and replace on my 93 thunderturd. Basically all he did was take his knife and slice all the goo all the way around the windshield. I forget how he did the bottom, but maybe he had a special knife for that? But all he did was slice the glue. once out he had some chemical that cleaned the glass and the seal around the window. Im sure the internets has something to say...

Not true. I had some damn fool come out to buy the windshield out of the 280zx I was parting. Said he knew what he was doing, and had one of those Cold knives. Started going around, then "CRACK". "Fuck.. I wanted that..." "Yeah, I wanted to sell it. Thanks" <_< Guy didn't even offer to pay me for it.. learned my lesson; always get the cash first, no matter what they say. :rolleyes:

I removed the windshields from a 240z and used a wire cutter tool. First you gotta cut the rubber a little and then there was a little pick thing with a couple teeth that pushed the wire through the hole and then you used it to cut all the way around the window. it was really easy. My buddy had the tool, i think its specifically for that use

• 2 weeks later...

Just take it slow and you will be fine.Like everyone said make sure you cut all the adhesive,you may have to tap the glass lightly.lightly with the palm of your hand all around the inside,not staying in one spot,it will release.