New Pics of my 620 and 720

650savag

So after reading the post yesterday from Southern620 and seeing the pics, I decided I would finally take some new pics of my trucks ;and post them. I was surprised to find out there was someone else besides me with a nice Datsun truck here in NW Louisiana. Well I have posted some pi9cs a long time ago of the blue 78, 620 and the Yellow 80 truck. Since then, I took the blue 620 and had a El-Cheapo ($600) paint job done at Raney's and then I did some body work on "ole Yeller":(killed rust, straightened and bondo, sanded it down)and then did a "rattle-can" paint ;job with sandable primer. I was intending on taking it to Raney's also and getting it painted but the primer job grew on me and it looks so "RATSUN" that I decided to keep it that way. the 720 is my daily driver as you can tell from all the junk in the bed. It is a L20B with 5 speed and with well over 300K on the clocki, it still runs strong and gets better gas milage than the 620. The 78, 620 delux is also a L20B ;with 5 speed and it only has a dab over 100K on it. The last pic is a pic of an "Old-School Fools" toys. My 1978 620, 1975 Honda CB400F, and my 1982 Raleigh Gran Prix road bike.

000_0005-1.jpg

000_0009-1.jpg

000_0008-1.jpg

000_0006.jpg

000_0007-1.jpg

000_0011.jpg

000_0012.jpg

000_0013.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That 620 is pretty clean. That bumper on it is bad assssssss

As far as your "Old School Fools" toys in the last pic, you failed to pay homage the Easy Score basket ball hoop, tricycle, little bicycle, and the Little Tikes Cosy Coupe. Sweet quad ya got there, too ;)

Thanks Micro! I'm afraid I can't claim those toys next door. There is a mean 5 year old over there that would probably beat up this "old man" if I played on his toys! Ha! Not really! My grandkids come over and visit and we go next door and play with Ryan. If I had took pics (oics) of inside my garage, you would see the grandkids toys ( go-cart, bikes, 4-wheelers,etc.).

Thanks Southern620! I really like the color scheme on your 77. It looks a lot more "sporty" than mine. I guess I should lose that big ole rear bumper and maybe lower mine 3" but I just haven't took the time to mess with it much. I will try to put some pictures on here from when they were the original paint.

101_0128.jpg

101_0129.jpg

Hey Mike!, I know that looks wierd but it's just some more of my "Ratsun" engineering. I used to call it another kind of engineering but thats not poitically correct anymore! The flex hose goes down to the exhaust manifold and provides heated air to the carb on these cold winter mornings. I used to have problems with carb icing on both of my trucks when the conditions were right. (below 40 degrees and damp). The flapper was not working in the breather snout and they would suck in cold air to the carba. I just routed the front intake down to the exhaust mani. and then when the weather warms up, I just slip the plastic adapter off the breather snout. The air under the hood is probably not as cool as if it was routed out to the grill but it works fine for me. Do you ;have any idea why the 620 gets poorer gas milage than the 720? They both are L20B with 5 speed. The 1980 720 jumps out of 5th gear, so I have only used it as a 4 speed for several years now and it gets better milage cruising in 4th gear than the 78 620 does in 5th? Any ideas?

That is very observant of you Str8. I bought the bike about 12 years ago from a guy I was working with then and it was like that when I got it. I did not realize until months later that they were suppose to have disc brakes on the front. I never got a chance to ask him about that. It actually belonged to his younger brother who lived in Little Rock, Ark. and was the original owner. It had set up for several years and would only run on 2 cyl. He had brought it down to his brothers place and they had worked on it together trying to get it to run right. They never got it running good and he had a vintage Harley that he was restoring and needed space in his garage so he offered it to me for $200 at work one nite. The next day I picked it up and took it home and pulled the carb assy. off and cleaned the jets with a small torch tip cleaner (they were plugged solid). I put the carb assy. back on, put fresh gas in it and it fired up and ran like new. I rode it to work the next day and he could not believe it! Ha! I believe that sometime in the past, it must have been wrecked in the front and the front fork and wheel assy. replaced with a front off of an earlier model 350 or 550. I have thought about trying to find an original front end and replacing it.(these bikes and parts are rare) I have a box of goodies that I got with the bike that includes the original chrome front fender (nice condition) and all the disc brake components. The set up thats on it now works perfectly so unless I decide to try to restore it to original condition, I plan to just keep it like it is and enjoy riding it.

Wow! That is one clean CB400F! I've never seen one that nice, not even in Cycle World or any of the other mags. That thing needs to be in a museum. The front brakes stop very good on mine . I don't know for sure, but I believe they are dual leding shoes. I used to ride my 400 a lot. It is really a fun little bike. I work about 30 from where I live and it is a really nice comute (curvy, tree-lined, black-top roads all the way). I had so many close encounters with deer, that I finally had to give it up. I still ride my grandson (4) around a little when he visits, but thats about it. I love your truck also.

Wow! That is one clean CB400F! I've never seen one that nice, not even in Cycle World or any of the other mags. That thing needs to be in a museum. The front brakes stop very good on mine . I don't know for sure, but I believe they are dual leding shoes. I used to ride my 400 a lot. It is really a fun little bike. I work about 30 from where I live and it is a really nice comute (curvy, tree-lined, black-top roads all the way). I had so many close encounters with deer, that I finally had to give it up. I still ride my grandson (4) around a little when he visits, but thats about it. I love your truck also.

Thanks man, it's a decent example, not quite museum. Yours is nice as well. Dual leading shoe brakes will have two actuating arms on the brake backing plate connected by an adjustable linkage. Fitted with good brake shoes they can be superior in stopping power to early Honda caliper/disc brake setups, save wet conditions.