GL-5 vs. GL-4

Had to take on the entire staff at the local parts store this morning. I returned some GL-5 after the differential fluid change, and was looking for GL-4 to do the transmission. Each one tried to argue that GL-5 would work in my specific application, no matter what. What pisses me off is...I got the vibe that they didn't want to refund my money. And that's what the whole argument was about...refunding my money. It would have been a much better experience if they had just let me return the stuff, no questions asked.

I walked out with $10 in the end...but f**k, what a pain in the ass.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most parts stores don't carry GL-4 anymore. They're more concerned about keeping 2003 Civic parts on hand than anything over 15 years old. NAPA can special order it if they don't have it on hand... Sta-Lube brand. Marked right on the bottle, yellow-metal safe.

Failing that, tractor supply stores can get it.

I use Redline MTL. Its GL-4 rated and safe for bronze syncro tranmissions. Lets face it, Redline is a little expensive, but its the right stuff and how often do you change transmission fluid? Its available from Summit Racing on-line at $13.49/quart

Redline MTL at Summit Racing

Should be every 30K so 2 pints every 3-5 years?

NAPA (where I work) still sells Royal Purple, which is GL-4 compatible, and Sta-Lube GL4 gear oil. All the rest are GL5, and most people don't know you're not supposed to use it if you have yellow metals (brass) in your transmissions. Pretty much all Datsuns and most Nissans of older vintage I know of, have yellow metals in the trans.

Redline is also a good one. Schaeffer's does NOT have a GL4 compatible gear oil.

GL5 will pit the brass synchros in our Datsun transmissions due to sulfur type. Can't remember if it's active sulfur or some other variety.

GL5 will pit the brass synchros in our Datsun transmissions due to sulfur type. Can't remember if it's active sulfur or some other variety.

I think the sulphur breaks down becoming acidic over time. Even GL5 needs to be changed. The sulphur increases protects against scuffing. Differentials need much more protection because of the 90 degree change on direction or power transmission and the way the gear faces rub together. Transmission gears transmit power much differently

Lets face it, Redline is a little expensive, but its the right stuff and how often do you change transmission fluid? Its available from Summit Racing on-line at $13.49/quart

Redline MTL at Summit Racing

That would be about $27 every 30K to keep you 5 speed happy.

What parts store?

When I'm working at Autozone and someone comes in to return something that's not needed with a receipt, It's a done deal. Guess thats why people prefer my store to most others laugh.gif

Couldn't be the dirt cheap parts, could it? :D Don't you guys run some special on brake pads for like $10? I've had some cheap asses come into NAPA and absolutely throw a fit that the cheapest brake pads are $21. Amazing. Fortunately I just moved to the Post Falls store and Idaho people are ever so much cooler than Airway Heights customers.

Couldn't be the dirt cheap parts, could it? :D Don't you guys run some special on brake pads for like $10? I've had some cheap asses come into NAPA and absolutely throw a fit that the cheapest brake pads are $21. Amazing. Fortunately I just moved to the Post Falls store and Idaho people are ever so much cooler than Airway Heights customers.

$10 pads? huh?

lol Nah, average for the cheapest set is $21.

Our batteries are Delphi, gaskets are Fel-Pro, and reman'd Alternators are Bosch (almost 90% of the time.)

People need to quit being cheap babies. 21 for pads isn't the end of the world.

It was at Oreilly's. The first guy asked why I was returning it. I told him I bought too much GL-5 when I did the differential. And that I needed GL-4 to do the do the transmission. That's when the shit hit the fan! Every single employee basically wanted to argue that GL-5 was better than GL-4. All five of them said GL-5 would work for any application where GL-4 is required!?! What morons!

So at this point, I was getting pissed. They all think they are right, and I'm an idiot! So I asked them if they were going to give me my money back or not? And they did, after 10 min. of arguing! This is also why I don't take anything to mechanics anymore. If you want something done right....