j15 motor with busted tranny

i broke my tranny for a j15 motor but no luck of finding one, any idea which are compatible for j15 engine without any modification and 5 speed would be a great choice but if not will consider 4 speed. And also the transmission mount ,need help asap. thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i broke my tranny for a j15 motor but no luck of finding one, any idea which are compatible for j15 engine without any modification and 5 speed would be a great choice but if not will consider 4 speed. need help asap. thanks

I beleave the J13 transmission is the same. There all 4 spds.

Really don't need to double-post.

Specifically, what is this engine in, being that a J15 isn't stock in anything sold in the US except forklifts. Though this doesn't really help you, as the J-series transmission is unique to that engine. The J13 was used 1966-1969 in L520s, L521s, and PL411s (I think) in the US, and that's it. The J13 and J15 lasted a little longer in Mexico, used through around 1979 or so. What they used for a transmission by then I don't know, as by then most market trucks had gone to a newer transmission.

Now, if the J15 has a '67+ 4-speed, it's probably internally identical to the 4-speed used in '68-73 in 510s, 70-72 PL521s, and '73 620s, BUT that would require transferring the "guts" to your existing transmission case.

The point I'm trying to make is one post is usually enough. If you are looking for a part then it should be in the Parts Wanted until you find one. Placing one in Drivetrain won't find one. You can ask your questions in you for sale thread. This keeps all correspondence and information in one thread.

• 1 month later...

I beleave I read in the for sale thread for the truck that the tailshaft was broken, and I have no idea how the thing was fixed, but he has a receipt for the repair.

You know with the F4W63 I bet you could swap the tail with it in the car.

The tail from any L16 four speed should easily fit the J four speed as they are the same transmission. Only the front bolt pattern is different.

I didn't know it was only the tail. Lots and lots of those L16 four speeds are thrown away every week. Too bad you didn't mention what exactly was wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.