T-bar problems

ROTSUN

hello,

I'm new here and new to Nissan/ Datsun. I searched the forums, could not find what i was looking for. My problem is on my 84' 720, I have been trying to lower the front 2''. What I saw was that the T-bars are cranked up, so I loosened the anchor bolts and set it back down on the ground (using a 2-post lift). And it's still sitting up high with a 4'' gap between tire and fender. Next I went with some heat, P.B., and an air hammer. Nothing moved, Was trying to attempt to to reset them (Like in the haynes manual, remove the T-bars and jack up the bottom control arm until it hits the bump stop, then reinstall T-bars.). Has anyone had this problem? Am I screwed? this truck has some rust.......

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...i had an issue years back when i tried to lower a friends HB. His torsion bars had been re-index'd to RAISE the truck.

We damm near had the anchor bolts falling out & it still sat high. The torsions were removed & trashed when we bagged his truck.

datzenmike: I've been looking at that page none stop. Don't think so, front shocks are blowen.

Pacific coast datsun: I don't think the they have been re-index'd. I have the anchor bolts hanging, and nothing. I REALLY don't want to go with bags....

Yellow 620: Yes, I did that.I also pushed up and down, still sitting nose bleed. No where near the bump stops.

I'll try and get some pics tonight with my phone (camera broke last week).

"And it's still sitting up high with a 4'' gap between tire and fender"

Thats way to high..more so than stock.

My guess is that they have been re-index'd [to raise truck]

To fix. Remove torsion bars from lower arms, put jack under lower arm & raise until the tire / rim sits where you want, reinstall torsions.

Thats how i lowered my 521 & yes you will be reindexing them [to lower truck] if you do it that way. The ride is nice as long as you have new front shocks.

so wait if I wanted to I could basically do what your are saying to him in reverse for myself I would rather raise than lower my lil 730 and it rides real low with the sd22 in it been trying to figure up how to raise it up figured I would do so when I pull the engine to have it rebuilt

Well it won't let me post pictures....,but the anchor bolts are Loose, shocks off and truck on the ground. still sitting high. :( I hope there is a way out of this..... I do not want to go the bag route.

Ok sounds like your going to have to remove the torsions from the lower arms, then jack up the lower arm until the tire / rim sits where you want it then reinstall the torsions. You may have to do some adjusting once its back on the ground to level it out but thats easy.

Ok sounds like your going to have to remove the torsions from the lower arms, then jack up the lower arm until the tire / rim sits where you want it then reinstall the torsions. You may have to do some adjusting once its back on the ground to level it out but thats easy.

Cool, thank sir. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow night. Would I have to pull the C-clips?

Yes.

If the anchor bolts are loose...

torsion_bar.jpg

Then the other end has to drop. The only thing holding the wheel up is the twist in the torsion bar.

Only thing I can see wrong is this end is siezed inside the frame...

straightenedtorsionarm.jpg

Or at the front, the upper or lower control arm is very stiff or seized at the bushings and not letting the wheel drop.

Whatever you do don't be under there without support jacks.

Thanks sir, Just making sure. I've been reading all the post about anchor bolts and re-indexing 3 weeks before i posted. Just couldn't figure out how i could be having a hard time, when it looks so easy. See if there was anyone else that had this problem. I don't think I'm in a big hole anymore. Just need to get enough time to do everything. 2 post lift only, I like to try and keep jack stands in the history books :cool:.