hesitation

The datsun kid

all right so i put my new weber 32/36 on my l16 in my 521 and it ran alright didnt seem quite right so i adjusted it a lil and then i let it sit for a little while like 2 weeks and now it has a hesitaion like it falls flat when in like 1st gear starting out you have to power through it to make it not do it and im just really lost i set the mixture screw to 2 turns out like it said on here im not sure if its the carb or what any help would be good thnx guys

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue, NO vacuum leaks, well none that starter fluid could find. I think it is wrong size of the idle jet. I have found from going from no throttle, to mid throttle or full throttle to fast bogs it down and almost kills it. At light I usually pull my choke cable halfway to raise the idle and then once I am going 5mph or so I disengage the choke. Any of this sound like your truck?

Also what are people using on the 32/36 for the Primary Idle Jet? I have a 55 in mine, just curious.

when you adjust webers you need to adjust the timming also.

most idle circuts are about 50 but 55 should be OK. I can never tell the difference myself.

make sure the vaccum adv is from the carb and not the manifold. this is a common NO NO

if electric choke make sure its hooked up and when warm its fully open(the choke plate).

you see gas squirt in the main barrel when you cycle the gas linkake? if yes then thats OK.

No. If it's clogged it's clogged all the time you couldn't power through it.

This happens when the throttle is first opened. So what happens here??? The engine tries to take a big gulp of air and because it was at idle, using very little air, there isn't enough flow past the venturi to suck in enough gas to mix with it. So we get air without enough gas and it bogs.

The accelerator pump is there to manually squirt in extra gas to richen up the air just above idle to give the motor time to start sucking air and build up air flow past the venturi.

I would do as Hainz suggests and look in the carb and work the throttle. You should see a strong squirt of fuel with each pump.

A partially blocked idle/main jet might also cause this.

Check that your vacuum advance is working. Or just disconnect the vacuum advance and plug up the hole and see if the problem is still there or gets worse.

I don't run vacuum advance and I have a little bog just off idle but its no big deal.

Did you set your timing while the vacuum advance was plugged in or unplugged?

-Dime

alright felllas listen to this so my thermostat stuck and my truck overheated and i was luckily by my gmas and so i went over theyre and went and got a new thermostat and my entire thermostat housing was thrashed so i replaced the whole housing got it done started her up and BAM NO hesitation what the hell fellas this is weird im just glad its gone but i cant explain it

I don't run vacuum advance and I have a little bog just off idle but its no big deal.

Did you set your timing while the vacuum advance was plugged in or unplugged?

-Dime

It will run better and more efficient below 2,500 with vacuum advance. Racers don't need it but you do.

There is no vacuum to the vacuum advance on the dizzy when idling.