My 620

Korvus

Hi there, newbie here. Finally found the courage to post.

I got my 620 for $950 quite awhile ago from a woman who said it belonged to her grandfather before he died. I definitely paid more than its worth, but infatuation can blind a guy.

39232138639909991612301.jpg

It was originally green (so we found out when we pulled the door panel off to fix the broken window lever and door lock.) The rack was left with the seller.

I bought it impulsively. We were originally looking at it for my girlfriend's first car but upon test driving it and realizing that she can NOT drive a stick to save her life she decided she didn't want it...But I decided that I did :rolleyes:.

It seems to have some problems. There's a lot of duct tape here and there...The ignition was held on with it until we attached it properly, the battery dies if the truck is left sitting for a day (alternator issue? I saw a thread about that on here a while back.), someone 'tapped' something with the front end, and there may or may not be serious rust issues.

I tore out the bench seat that was in her and plan to replace them with a pair of cheapy racing-like seats I bought, so embarrassingly enough she's sitting in my backyard slowly becoming a catch-all for my family's crap while my dad and I try to find time to build seat mounts.

Current goal: Get the damn thing on the road.

Future dreams: Lower it, paint it, and maybe engine swap it, but considering it's taken several months and counting to build seat mounts all this is most likely to happen ten to fifteen years after I die of old age.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds about right for a new or old Datsun owner. :lol: Once running the enthusiasm keeps you motivated. Don't throw the bench seat away, I find buckets don't always fit properly in a standard cab 620. If too thick, there isn't much room before they hit against the rear window. The '78 is a good choice as it's the first yer the 620 came with front disc brakes, internally regulated alternator, electric (pointless) distributor and the king pin replaced with ball joint steering. It's also the second year that the 5 speed was available as an option, does yours have it?

Sounds about right for a new or old Datsun owner. :lol: Once running the enthusiasm keeps you motivated. Don't throw the bench seat away, I find buckets don't always fit properly in a standard cab 620. If too thick, there isn't much room before they hit against the rear window. The '78 is a good choice as it's the first yer the 620 came with front disc brakes, internally regulated alternator, electric (pointless) distributor and the king pin replaced with ball joint steering. It's also the second year that the 5 speed was available as an option, does yours have it?

Yeah, it's got the five speed in it.

I still have the bench, it's sitting in the bed under a tarp. :P

I'll have to get more pictures of the trucks current shamed state. I feel guilty everyday I see it.

You're not kidding about the the snug fit though. We've had the seat in there on a mount I like to refer to as the "first draft."

The seats have the feature of reclining, but not the ability. They pretty much touch the rear window if you want to sit comfortably.

If it ever gets repainted I most definitely want to redo the purple if not black.

• 2 weeks later...

Unintentional bump in the form of an update:

Finally got the driver's seat in, she'll be on the street by this afternoon.

I've been grinning ear-to-ear all damn day.

I shall have some new pictures of its ratty-ass glory before too long.

Another update, still no pictures, but I may have to get some soon to ask you guys some questions.

Problems are rearing their ugly little heads left and right now.

I took it out out for a drive since I got something to properly hold the battery down, and discovered it was making sounds I didn't particularly like. Just drove it for a while and they seemed to stop, but when I got to where I was going I got out and smelled something REALLY hot and steam was coming from under the hood. I let it cool and drove it home to discover that somewhere antifreeze is leaking and being thrown all over shit by the fan.

It's strange, because the temperature gauge never read much higher than "C" during the drive and I never smelled anything or saw any steam until I turned off and got out of the truck.

Hoping to find out just where the problem is at. I know it won't be the last problem I'm going to have to deal with to actually get to drive this thing, but it's always disappointing to have to park it again to fix/finish something right after you get it moving. :P

The actual question I wanted to ask (and I'm probably going to have to get pictures for) is that the throttle is messed up. I can only get about half the range I should be able to get. The gas pedal is nearly touching the floor with no pressure on it and is pretty sloppy.

I'll have to get pictures or video to actually show you guys what I mean and get it fixed.

EDIT: Forgot, she needs a name!

My family keeps referring to it as "Barney," as in the purple dinosaur...I'm not diggin' it. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I'm at a loss for an alternate name to correct them with. Suggestions?

The throttle cable on a 521 is held by a bracket that uses two of the carburettor bolts to hold it, and has a threaded adjustment that takes up the slack in the cable. Look behind the carburettor, where the cable or linkage attaches, and and what is there,

X2 on the throttle cable. Open the hood with it running to see where the coolant is coming from. Almost sounds like a hole in the radiator.

Welcome to the world of 620's !

Moby Grape!

That's how we found out that that's what the problem is. :)

The issue is in finding where it it's actually coming from. The fan turns it into a nice mist that goes in every-which direction.

Probably gonna look into it more tomorrow.

like mike said most of those "racing" seat dont allways fit right in our small trucks, i had that same idea but never got "racing seats" my mind changed very quickly when i went to a pull a part and found some early crx seats... i reupholstered them (deleted the headrest) and couldnt be happier, they hold me in very well, and they are small and look just right in the truck

like mike said most of those "racing" seat dont allways fit right in our small trucks, i had that same idea but never got "racing seats" my mind changed very quickly when i went to a pull a part and found some early crx seats... i reupholstered them (deleted the headrest) and couldnt be happier, they hold me in very well, and they are small and look just right in the truck

I've already got my pair of seats, the driver's side is currently in it. It's a tight fit, but I'm a smaller dude so it works for me. :P

When I was looking I had heard to look for Prelude seats, but couldn't find ANY in any of the yards around here, nor anything that wasn't another car with bench seats, or where the seats were just not what I was looking for at all.

• 2 weeks later...