This is a new one for me...

datsunaholic

SO, after realizing that the brakes have been badly neglected on my '72 510 Wagon, I set out before the rains hit to change the brakes. Unfortunately I haven't received all the parts (rear shoes, cylinders) but I could at least replace the front pads and inspect the rears- at a minimum hope the drums come off.

Was somewhat amused by the "wedge" shaped front pads, but that's normal according to the Haynes manual. Being that they were worn clear to the backing plates I had to refer to the book to see which way they went on... then noticed the pads all had "RH" or "LH" written on them. So, easy enough. Very easy to change, actually.

So, to the rear. The rear of the car wanted to jump out of it's tires every time I hit the brakes or applied the parking brake when moving last time I tried to drive it, so I expected broken springs or a failed drum. So, pulled the drum. The driver's side drum came off easy enough with the jacking bolt- didn't have to back off the adjuster or anything.

But this is what I found inside:

brake1.JPG

Something's missing.

Details in next post.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha haha. Sometimes brakes can be so surprising. Check this rotor..

worn-rotor.jpg

You would think the driver would noticed but from experience this isn't always so. Our old company Ford van had a flat tire and when we removed it the front pads were worn away and were metal to metal. When we took it in for replacement the guy tried to give me shit for driving it like that. Doug, that van braked perfectly, smoothly and evenly. There was no indication there was a problem.

My '74 710 also has the angled pads.

I had a full size doge truck get towed in last week, the parking brake shoes in the left rear rotor had come off just like that, only they got wedged in there and locked up the wheel.

That's how the Sundance was if you backed up it would stop and the rear would lift up like climbing a curb. The drum came off easily and the linings dropped out, wtf?

I had a customer bring in a rotor that looked like that. He wanted to know if we could resurface it. When I told him there was no way in hell we could even touch it. He said, "It just started making noise yesterday."

I had to flag down a BMW SUV on the freeway because it was driving at 65mph with a flat rear tire, almost completely shredded and throwing sparks and smoke. 5 guys got out and I pointed to the rear wheel and asked if they had noticed it. Their response was something like "Oh, uhh, yeah, we just started hearing something." I'd been behind them for about a mile and could smell the burning rubber before I ever saw them.

Loosen off the adjuster and the e brake to get the shoes retracted as far as possible. Now take a look on the drum just outside the stud circle, you'll see two small threaded holes one across from the other. Just get two small bolts (10mm head maybe) and tighten them in. They will bottom on the axle and if you keep tightening them in evenly it will pull the drum off towards you. This may be all it takes to loosen the grip and you can smack it a few times to loosen further.

Have a care, because if the shoes are tightly gripping the drum it will tear them off with the drum including the anti rattle spring and parts.

Warning: Get a can of brake cleaner and some rags. As soon as you can, spray all the loose dust off the drum, backing plate and old shoes and collect on a rag. Put the old shoes and the rags in a plastic bag and dispose of. Avoid stirring up any dust and really avoid breathing it.

• Like 1

Loosen off the adjuster and the e brake to get the shoes retracted as far as possible. Now take a look on the drum just outside the stud circle, you'll see two small threaded holes one across from the other. Just get two small bolts (10mm head maybe) and tighten them in. They will bottom on the axle and if you keep tightening them in evenly it will pull the drum off towards you. This may be all it takes to loosen the grip and you can smack it a few times to loosen further.

Have a care, because if the shoes are tightly gripping the drum it will tear them off with the drum including the anti rattle spring and parts.

Warning: Get a can of brake cleaner and some rags. As soon as you can, spray all the loose dust off the drum, backing plate and old shoes and collect on a rag. Put the old shoes and the rags in a plastic bag and dispose of. Avoid stirring up any dust and really avoid breathing it.

+reps. Thanks Mike!

sorry to thread jack datsunaholic

Anybody ever watch the movie/ documentary " Yank Tanks " because of USA embargo the Cubans make parts for the American cars imported there in the 50s. In the movie they talk to this old dude that makes brake shoes out of epoxy and asbestos in a oven on his back porch...they interview a bunch of guys like him..pretty awesome movie ,I had my friend get it through Netflix