hessianben Posted February 12, 2011 Report Share Posted February 12, 2011 So, as I'm sure a few of you do here, I take a lot of inspiration from PESJAHB's white hardbody drift truck. After all, he's totally rebuilt his rear suspension from scratch, gutted the interior, fabbed front coilover mounts, swapped to an S13 intake, tuned ecu, removed emissions, K sport hand brake... yadda yadda... So... i'm taking cues from his book and slowly making the necessary changes to get MY truck to perform properly at the track. So far I've Installed: upgraded torsion bars rear sway bar Nitro 2 drop shocks polyurethane bushings S13 exhaust cams in. & ex. timing bump K&N filter cat back exhaust custom leaf packs pathfinder rear end with LSD pathfinder rear disc brakes drilled and slotted front rotors electric fan removed abs Exedy stage one clutch Nismo pivot ball Nismo pilot bushing needle bearing ...and a few other things with all this working together, I've been able to get pretty consistent on the track- able to initiate drifts and link turns through most corners by either shift-locking or feinting into turns. However, i found that i wasnt able to initiate drifts as early as some cars, simply because I didn't have a hand brake! (I'VE BEEN DOING IT THE HARD WAY) So i decided to build myself a hydraulic hand brake. I found someone selling a sand rail 'cutting brake'. its meant to activate the brakes left or right to get the buggy turning, but I figured it would work fine just one-way. I plugged the upper cylinder with a pipe plug and had a local pipe shop braize together some adapters (1/8" pipe thread to metric 1.00 inverted female) so I could plumb in to the same type of brake line fittings that Nissan uses. I bought 3 lengths of 5' and one 2' length of steel brake line with Japanese fittings as well as some brass unions from Autozone. Paid $15 for a 3/16" tubing bender and got busy! Used a piece of plate steel laying around as a bracket mocked up: I did a bit of figuring before I decided on the position of the brake- and decided that the little slot that nissan gives us next to the shifter would be a perfect fit if i cut out the bottom! I bolted through the plate steel, (NOT SHOWN), through the trans tunnel, and through some more steel plate on the underside, so I wasn't relying on the weak sheetmetal of the trans tunnel to brace this thing. Basically, to plumb this thing, you remove the brake line from your stock master cylinder which goes to your rear brakes, and plumb a new line from the master to your new hand brake. Then, a new line out of the hand brake, and back to where the rear rubber brake hose ties into the stock steel line (above the axle, behind the fuel tank). connect everything up (i used locktite for my own piece of mind) and bleed the system (took a while for me) I'm pretty happy how it turned out- doesn't look too rigged up BUT I'M EVEN HAPPIER WITH HOW IT WORKED !!! After going to weekly drift nights since July, I was beginning to think I was a pretty slow learner, but MAN!... now I know how they make it look soooo easy! just a tap on the handbrake as you brake and turn in, and then just steer with the gas!!! I couldn't be happier with this mod :) here's a couple photo-cam vids my friend shot from inside the cab: Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.