skyblue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Swapped the head this weekend.

Bustanut hooked it up with the head fin his original L16.

B4F96A9F-DFE2-4E5A-B53A-E3E053EDBEF2_zps

For funsies

823FCEE6-3CAC-4E6D-A80E-4E22CD7FFE32_zps

4 year old coolant. Not too bad.

694EFEA3-AA14-4BE7-8222-2411A729998E_zps

Head off.

798A1262-D251-4E42-8885-0E43FFC39C8C_zps

The culprit

8FA732E7-F7EC-4198-AE9B-3EC0D4D9C4D1_zps

New head!

773F17B0-ECB0-48F8-9D3A-859AEE683A1B_zps

Got some NOS rubber

A6205DC3-A247-4EEC-B6C4-BC44570638B9_zps

All done

0CE023B1-F5B0-497B-8E51-881794341A99_zps

• Like 3

How's it run? :D

So much better! It's like a new truck. Did lose a bit of pep because the other head was an A87 with an L20 cam. But I'm ok with it cause I'm trying to make the truck more fuel efficient. Plus now I can put an L20 cam in my 510! Lol

• Like 3

I know this isn't the damn classifieds, however I have a a87 peanut.. taken apart.. but I do have the internal in baggies buried in my garage..

If that's something you want I could bring t Canby.

Hmm. Maybe if the price is right lol. Honestly I'm not looking for a head. But spares are always nice to have.

Congrats on getting her back on the road!!

Thanks man!

Question for all the 521 guys, does anyone have a pic of a stock fan shroud? My truck has a plastic one that was on there when I bought the truck. I know it's not stock cause it doesn't fit right.

As far as I know all 521 cowls with L blocks were plastic, I also think I have one for the J block, that one I think I have is metal.

Here are photos of what I have on my 1971 521 work truck that had an L16 block in it when I got it, I just looked and this one is exactly the same as the one that is in it right now and it fits just fine.

Here is what it looks like if you were sitting where the engine is, up is the top.

DSCN6711_zpskhee2wuv.jpg

And here is the side that bolts to the radiator.

DSCN6712_zpsojev02yo.jpg

• Like 1

Well how about I bring it with and you give me a beer or two for it.

Or Margarita or two..

Sounds good!!

As far as I know all 521 cowls with L blocks were plastic, I also think I have one for the J block, that one I think I have is metal.

Here are photos of what I have on my 1971 521 work truck that had an L16 block in it when I got it, I just looked and this one is exactly the same as the one that is in it right now and it fits just fine.

Here is what it looks like if you were sitting where the engine is, up is the top.

DSCN6711_zpskhee2wuv.jpg

And here is the side that bolts to the radiator.

DSCN6712_zpsojev02yo.jpg

So they were plastic from the factory? Ok didn't know that. I'll have to take a better look at mine again. Thanks Wayno!

Happy belated Valentine's Day

Good to see you got it running again.

Here is a metal fan shroud I got for my 521. Not sure if it fits the Lseries radiator or J13, or even if they're different. I got it late last summer and it started to cool down so there was no more immediate need for added cooling

image_zpsystzyvrs.jpg

• Like 2

I have two of them metal ones, one is generic like HOGIE's photo above, but it is/was on a J block radiator, it has legs to use the bolts holding the radiator on to hold it on, and I have another one that is notched and appears to be for a L16 block, I didn't try to mount it but I stacked it onto the J block shroud and the top mount bolts were the same, but the bottom mount bolts were different, they were farther down.

I have no idea where I found this metal shroud, but I have seen lots of plastic ones on 521s, I have never seen a metal one on a 521, and both these metal shrouds are not designed that well, there is no bottom half, so I guess it would work half as good as the plastic ones.

Hmmm.

I'm more confused now. I guess what I have works. I just wanted to have the correct one.

The correct one is the one that fits properly......... :D

.......think you'll be fine

• Like 3

old carb was running like shit, so i put a new one on. only took 5 years, haha

65E269BA-9F10-4319-ACF4-06692DBA7C42_zps

8DD49400-8DEB-475F-8974-2BDFE5D0378C_zps

previous owner used wrong size nuts on carb and cross threaded all four!! wtf! so i retapped them the wrong pitch, lol. they seem to hold...for now.

AE6DF563-6452-4101-813F-9FDF5FE44D6D_zps

a simple carb swap took a turn for the retarded. what should have taken me an hour took me closer to 3. but, its done now and she's running like a dream. almost ready for Canby!!

51,450 miles

• Like 5

Good job. You guys going this year I was thinking of going up there for once. See what all the fuss is about.

Yea. I've gone every year since 2012. You probably won't be impressed if you go. You're used to JCCS types. Lol. But you should go at least once.

• Like 4

Good job. You guys going this year I was thinking of going up there for once. See what all the fuss is about.

Ya....what Skyblue said......you don't get a bag of goodies or a pat on the back.....

.....only fun times with good people..... :P

:lol:

• Like 2