Valentine

skyblue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you got any old pics? would love to see it.

When you say "re-keyed" is that the same as re-indexing? how was the ride?

Yeah re-index'd...same difference :D The matchbox distributor is very reliable, run it & enjoy. Heres my old 521.....

1-16loweredlevel.jpg

would've sat lower up front but the shock were bottomed out. That being said it rode kinda rough but it didnt bother me.

I didnt notch the frame but it needed to be done. I removed the HUGE #8 bump stops & the frame hit the axle sometimes. You could get some 720 or Hardbody bumpstops & cut them down & run those.They fit under the U bolts & are a lower profile. It may still ride kinda rough at times without a notch though.

With the correct coil [bigger than stock & may say "for use on electronic ignition" on it] the ballast does NOT need to be hooked up.

Bluesky

Those matchbox ignitions are good.

what might be happening is if that is the stock point coil it could be getting HOT as Point coils are design to run on low current.

Try a s coil from a 79 200sx or 79 620, 80 720 these are designed to run on straight 12volts.

if this is the point coil you could rehook up the wires back to stock. and wire the matchbox like a Pertronix. Put red on the Blk wht wire which is the POWER . stock it would be at the ballasst resisitor.olddatsuns.com has the wiring drawgs there for a 521

to make this EZer just get the 79 coil and you dont need to worry about hooking it back up to stockbut ne I bet coil is getting hot feel it

Bluesky

Those matchbox ignitions are good.

what might be happening is if that is the stock point coil it could be getting HOT as Point coils are design to run on low current.

Try a s coil from a 79 200sx or 79 620, 80 720 these are designed to run on straight 12volts.

if this is the point coil you could rehook up the wires back to stock. and wire the matchbox like a Pertronix. Put red on the Blk wht wire which is the POWER . stock it would be at the ballasst resisitor.olddatsuns.com has the wiring drawgs there for a 521

to make this EZer just get the 79 coil and you dont need to worry about hooking it back up to stockbut ne I bet coil is getting hot feel it

on my way home it died like 6 times on me on the freeway. to make things worse there's a huge rainstorm going on right now too. but anyway, i pulled the coil wire from the cap, cranked it to check for spark and nothing. then it came back, then gone. it would come and go intermittently. soo frustrating. didn't feel it but what you said makes sense cause it starts acting up after ive been driving for half an hour. eventually (barely) made it home. i will get a new coil as soon as i can.

thanks for the help guys. i'll keep you posted.

Its the wrong coil. Go to the parts store & get a new stock coil for a 79 620. It will hook rite up & u can toss that ballast resistor. Awesome truck by the way. Like Hainz said buff that paint out with TR3. It looks way better lowered :cool: 521's can be static dropped pretty low without c-notching & bags. Try that first & find some cool rims. You will likey :D

hey guys i am new to this site as well and everyone is super cool i have always wanted a 510 and now finally picked one up a 2 door 71 with an l20 and that matchbox ignition but its starting to fail too now just like yours skyblue

its cutting out and sputtering like its not firing on all cyl it had an accel super coil on there from the previous owner kinda over kill lol but anyways i got in it the other day and it wouldnt fire finally i tapped the coil and the matchbox and finally started i drove it to work at oreillys and i baught a cap and rotor cuz they were fried and i baught an msd blaster 2 coil and now its still acting up worst than before is it the matchbox going out? or what could it be it runs like doodoo and it only gets better when i get on the throttle at high rps i looked one of the ignition module and its almost 200 bucks that my cost and damn i would rather just pick up an msd and by pass the matchbox if i could. can you? thanks for all your help you guys are the best

72RaceReady

make sure the dizzy just isnt plane worn out. Like alots of side wiggle on the shaft.

you sure the timming is good on this? have you used a light? if its erractic at idle then soemthing is wrong.

The Accel Super coil is a .7 ohm coil. But I heard they can get hot if running a matchbox as one guy with a 280zx told me. But Bertvorgen on the realm runs his just fine with a Matchbox. So I dont know.

Just want to make sure your just no running out of time if your dizzy is off.

Maybe the module is going bad. They is a resistance ck for thes but I dont have the specs.

i havent used a timing light on it but i havent moved it from the position it was runnung fine in

all i did was switch the cap rotor and coil i haven measured any of the volts or any of that stuff i will do that today

does it sound like matchbox failure i switched both wires out to the coil from the matchbox and all the connections are tight and secure

some dude in tolleson is selling a matchbox dizzy complete for 125 i wanna pick it up sould i?

or coul i use the msd box to bypass the module banzai you said those msds suck so i kinda want to keep the matchbox but if i could bypass it for less money and have a hotter ignition that would be good too

i gotta try and get it fixed today its my dd lol thanks guys

i havent used a timing light on it but i havent moved it from the position it was runnung fine in

all i did was switch the cap rotor and coil i haven measured any of the volts or any of that stuff i will do that today

does it sound like matchbox failure i switched both wires out to the coil from the matchbox and all the connections are tight and secure

some dude in tolleson is selling a matchbox dizzy complete for 125 i wanna pick it up sould i?

or coul i use the msd box to bypass the module banzai you said those msds suck so i kinda want to keep the matchbox but if i could bypass it for less money and have a hotter ignition that would be good too

i gotta try and get it fixed today its my dd lol thanks guys

What you really should do is start your own thread on this so the answers aren't confusing to the original poster of this thread. If you have a 510 try the 510 section or Electrical. If you want, start a Project thread and discuss you problems there.

Update.

finally got a new coil. went with the pertronix flame thrower 3 ohm . swapped it out this morning then drove to sonoma and back and she was running great. then about an our ago i was at the mall parking lot and she died. but started back up. then stuttered a bit on the freeway. ugh!:angry: I've never had this problem before and this is my 5th datsun. but i'm not very good with electric. I've got the wiring diagram and the only thing behind the coil is the fusebox. could a faulty fuse box be the culprit?

Dude we told you to buy a stock 79 200sx coil.

You putting a 3 ohm coil on there is good for a stock set up on a Point system. Otherwise you could have used the coil you got & the ballast resisitor and have the same out put as you have now. as a point coil is 1.6 ohms and the ballast is 1.6 ohms so a total of 3.2

The Pertronix is 3 ohm is design to use with Pertronix as is needs a high resistance of around 3 ohms. 12volt divide by 3 ohms is 4 amps. more than 4 amps it could POP.

the 79 coil is a .7 ohm and is designed to run on 12-14volts. and the match box as you have it hooked up.

anyways I dont think its a coil proplem now as its still happening.

Flame Thrower dont mean Bigger spark!!!!!!!!!

Find some metal heat resisiant tape and cover that Blk module and maybe add a ground wire to the dizzy to the pedastal

Fuse box????? just replace the fuse with a new one. Matter of fact replace all of them with the correct one just for maint. sometimes the ends break off due to age and vibration.

Pedastal = distributor mount with the tang that has the 10mm hold down bolt. also known as dizzy mount.

ground the case of dizzy to the dizzy mount(pedastal)

I wonder if you go to Radio shack and buy a bottle of quick freeze and spray the module whn this happens if it goes away.

maybe take module off and clean the 2 connections there. the grn red wire.