Valentine

skyblue

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when a drive shaft is too long it could possible vibrate at hight speed and needs a carrier bearing.

Esp in trucks.

But Im not a expert in this so try rebalance or or a U joint swap but Im leary if these 2 things fix it at high speed. But it worked in the vehicle it cam out of right?

i see. well i don't think that's the problem cause 520's had one-piece DS stock. but we'll see after i get it balanced.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the rear brakes done. Not to my satisfaction cause the rear wheel cylinders did not simply bolt on.

before

DSC03042.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

as you can see i was down to the metal. yikes!!

DSC03064.jpg

This was one of the problems with the wheel cylinders. The threads on the studs were totally different than what was on there. Thinking the studs were just screwed on triple240 and I tried to unscrew them with no luck and ended up breaking the fucker off. Turns out they are bolts that are casted to the body. grrr. great.

DSC03052.jpg

So then I just ended up using different nuts, but then the Y-pipe did not thread in. different thread size number 2. wtf!! so i just cleaned and put on the old ones.whicj is not ideal. gotta call rockauto and see what the fux!

after

DSC03055.jpg

Also finally changed the + battery terminal. It was long overdue.

DSC03067.jpg

Gave her a wash and started to clean and wax her but it started getting dark so i only got the passenger door and fender done.

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03076.jpg

DSC03080.jpg

came out really good. gotta finish her up before canby.

Love this trucks classic look

Battery cables is a good investement!!!!!

I havent had proplems with my wheels cylinders myself Italian/Taiwan(dont last long) or the japan made ones

Paint those rims and get soem hubcaps!!!!!!!!!

thanks.

yea the ones i received are italian. Did you reuse the y-fitting? if so, did it thread on easily or was it hard to turn?

Canby was awesome. She made the trip with no problems. Falling deeper in love with her.

scored some wheels

DSC03200.jpg

started cleaning them today. gotta get new tires. was thinking 205/60-14. anyone have thoughts?

DSC03198.jpg

Also picked up this bad boy. little preview of things to come.

DSC03202.jpg

And if you weren't there she was looking good.

DSC03190.jpg

Canby was awesome. She made the trip with no problems. Falling deeper in love with her.

scored some wheels

DSC03200.jpg

started cleaning them today. gotta get new tires. was thinking 205/60-14. anyone have thoughts?

DSC03198.jpg

Also picked up this bad boy. little preview of things to come.

DSC03202.jpg

And if you weren't there she was looking good.

DSC03190.jpg

Man i swear i saw that truck at the SEMA show last year.Wow looking good.

Sky.....great idea to tap the bar out with the loosened sun bolt when re-indexing the torsion bar.

I think the one piece drive shaft only went in because you have 3" blocks in the back? Otherwise it would hit the carrier bearing crossmember? Is that right? Usually at Canby, I track down and talk to all the 521 guys.....I was really out of it this year.

Canby was awesome. She made the trip with no problems. Falling deeper in love with her. scored some wheels DSC03200.jpg started cleaning them today. gotta get new tires. was thinking 205/60-14. anyone have thoughts?

Sweet score on the wheels!!

I think they're gonna look great once they're polished.....Get to work!!

It was lookin good at CanBy!! :thumbup:

Man i swear i saw that truck at the SEMA show last year.Wow looking good.

haha. really? wish it was me but it was not. thanks

Sky.....great idea to tap the bar out with the loosened sun bolt when re-indexing the torsion bar.

I think the one piece drive shaft only went in because you have 3" blocks in the back? Otherwise it would hit the carrier bearing crossmember? Is that right? Usually at Canby, I track down and talk to all the 521 guys.....I was really out of it this year.

Thanks, but actually i can't take credit for that, i got the idea from Hainz.

Yea when i swapped it i kinda thought that. good thing its lowered. But you know, the 520 i took it off of was not lowered at all. so it's still a mystery. Oh i wanted to talk to you too. Next year i suppose. :)

Sweet score on the wheels!!

I think they're gonna look great once they're polished.....Get to work!!

It was lookin good at CanBy!! :thumbup:

thanks. haha. yea!!

• 1 month later...

so my truck started running like shit today. drove great for first half of day then after being parked for about 45 minutes it started to sound like it was missing. It was hot today and i was driving it pretty hard up until then. it pops when gas is floored at low rpm. it won't idle just dies if i don't keep my foot on the gas. and the valves are ticking like crazy.

this is what i have checked so far:

- checked spark plugs, they were crusty so i cleaned them up with the sandblaster. did not fix it.

- checked spark to each cylinder and it was weak and intermittent on all cylinders.

- swapped out the "matchbox" on the dizzy with an old one that sorta worked cause i had a similar problem last year so i thought it might be that. did not fix it

this all started at about 6pm.

It's getting dark and i'm exhausted from working all day so i'm done troubleshooting for now. but from the info supplied do you guys have any thoughts on what could be the culprit?

Here's a vid of me driving home hoping to make it there. sorry for the constant moving of camera, it was hard trying to drive and take video with an ipod touch.

th_badrun.jpg

any help would be great.

ok, tackled it again today after work. swapped coils. spark was better but still ran like shit. then took off valve cover to check valve lash. turns out the the rocker valve guide on cylinder no. 3's intake valve popped off from its home.

DSC03211.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

so as a result that valve had no tension and must have been flopping around.

DSC03210.jpg

so now the valve retainer is all smashed up and i can't get the guide back in its place.

DSC03209.jpg

so now i am at a loss. I have never seen this. how do i fix this? do i have to take the head off or can i take that valve assembly apart while still in the truck?

guys please help! i gotta get my baby back on the road.

There is a way to do it, it involves something like putting rope threw the spark plug hole, then hand cranking it till the rope is smashed into the valve, then pushing the outer part that holds the spring down to remove the retainers so you can remove the buggered up piece, but you need the replacement piece before you do that.

I am sure there is a way to push down the spring as long as the piston isn't at TDC to install the lash pad, but it would be a lot easier if there were two people.

Have you tried turning the valve ajustment all the way down to make room to install the lash pad if the hole isn't buggered up to bad?

there is plenty of clearance for me to get the lash pad back in there. the problem is the valve retainer inside edges are pretty f'd up so the lash pad won't slip in. If there was a way to deburr the edges of the hole enough to pop that little guy back in i could reassemble. Where would i even get a replacement valve retainer?

there is plenty of clearance for me to get the lash pad back in there. the problem is the valve retainer inside edges are pretty f'd up so the lash pad won't slip in. If there was a way to deburr the edges of the hole enough to pop that little guy back in i could reassemble. Where would i even get a replacement valve retainer?

Wrecking yard or one of your buddys that has a crap head they are not going to use.

If you can't get what you need and want to get it in there, get a small punch with a small round flat end on it, and very carefully use the punch by tapping on the bad spots that are keeping the lash pad from dropping in, this is not a fast process, and you don't hit it hard, you just tap lightly a bunch of times.

This would be a temporary fix, but that is what I would do.

There is a reason why it came out in the first place, and is likely to happen again, unless you fix why it came out to start with.

thanks wayno. i'll try that. but it looks like I'll have to take the head off anyway just to replace the smashed up retainer.

problem is this is my DD so i'm gonna have use my 510 savings/money to go check out a '90 sentra for sale to get around. :( and then tackle this repair a bit more relaxed and do it right. crap! crap! crap!