Valentine

skyblue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What could happen? I did the exact same swap in my 510 and have been driving it for like 2 years without issue. Not being a smart ass, I really want to know.

And tanker yes!

• Like 2

The tiny yellow wire is for the charge light in the dash in the stock wiring harness. With out the light the alternator will not charge. I am guessing this is the 60 amp Hardbody alternetor.

It's actually not that tiny. pretty big gauge compared to the rest of the wiring. And just for others reading this for reference, the wire is actually white but over time it's turned into more of an off white/yellow. lol

yes this is the 60 amp alt.

• Like 3

What could happen? I did the exact same swap in my 510 and have been driving it for like 2 years without issue. Not being a smart ass, I really want to know.

And tanker yes!

You did right on man good for you, join the poor house I mean home ownership. lol  

Is the dam truck done yet you need to bring alot of food for me. Ill bring the cash. And those drinks man the drinks. Da bomb buddy.

• Like 2

You did right on man good for you, join the poor house I mean home ownership. lol  

Is the dam truck done yet you need to bring alot of food for me. Ill bring the cash. And those drinks man the drinks. Da bomb buddy.

hahah seriously. gonna have to make a bit of a lifestyle change, but worth it I think.

truck is almost ready. just need to mount the new tires, adjust valves, change engine oil, diff oil and tranny oil. i think that will be enough to make the trip.

• Like 3

hahah seriously. gonna have to make a bit of a lifestyle change, but worth it I think.

truck is almost ready. just need to mount the new tires, adjust valves, change engine oil, diff oil and tranny oil. i think that will be enough to make the trip.

And lots and lots of food and booze. Ill give you money, i have a few bucks laying around some where..

• Like 3

And lots and lots of food and booze. Ill give you money, i have a few bucks laying around some where..

hahaha. ok. message received. got any requests for food? or are you easy?

• Like 3

It's actually not that tiny. pretty big gauge compared to the rest of the wiring. And just for others reading this for reference, the wire is actually white but over time it's turned into more of an off white/yellow. lol

yes this is the 60 amp alt.

Yeah, sorry. There is a small yellow wire, but the “large” white wire that runs from the alt charge post to the post of the starter solenoid is kinda small for handling 60A. I ran a length of 6AWG from the alt to the solenoid stud, with a fusible link inline with that wire. If you have a very low battery, plus a lot of accessories/lights/etc turned on, that wire can see a lot of load as the alternator is trying to keep up. It’s probably only a real problem if you have a high power stereo and/or higher wattage headlights.

The small yellow wire runs to the “N” input on the VR, and is the stator signal. It tells the alt to start charging, and will also shut the “IGN” light off on the dash when the alternator is functioning.

Here’s a picture of my 60A 510 alternator. Yellow and white/black goes to the plug (same as before). Large red is for charge to the solenoid post. Small black to VR ground. Large black to engine block.

M4Ty38d.jpg

• Like 1

No updates, but I have to make a to do list for Canby.

- Radiator swap

- Service front wheel bearings

- Check and lube driveline

- lube steering

- Check torque on suspension and engine bolts

- Clean and polish engine bay

- Get new one-piece drive-shaft

- Oil Change

- Tranny oil change

- Diff oil change

- Possibly get new tires

- Install choke cable

- Valve adjustment

Crossed a few more things off the list and some that weren't. lol like new fuel pump, carb return spring and advanced timing a smidge.

42551007801_43f2b002ea_b.jpg

slightly bigger tires.

41828191254_d3ba9fc8a1_b.jpg

27680488777_1c379aebdc_b.jpg

Only thing i think i have time for is a valve adjustment, but we'll see. Getting pumped!!

• Like 7
  • 3 years later...

Lol. Nothing? Damn. Yea it’s still chugging along. It’s leaking oil from the head gasket, which I’ve never experienced, so I don’t drive it that often. But it always fires up when do. 😁

• Like 1