Valentine

skyblue

I've been having problem after problem with my 521. When I read your ignition problem, I'm curious if when it shuts down on you, is the coil HOT to the touch. We've had this problem with British cars at my fathers shop. They start back up again a few minutes later when the coil has cooled. I have a hunch that's what it may be, but you have the right resistance in your coil so I'm not sure anymore...

tell me about it. The coil was not hot to the touch. it felt fine. I the resistor was actually not even hooked up. it still isnt.

The problem ended up being a bad "matcbox". I replaced it with a brand new one and she's been running great since March.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having problem after problem with my 521. When I read your ignition problem, I'm curious if when it shuts down on you, is the coil HOT to the touch. We've had this problem with British cars at my fathers shop. They start back up again a few minutes later when the coil has cooled. I have a hunch that's what it may be, but you have the right resistance in your coil so I'm not sure anymore...

Josh British cars suck electrically. but Im sure you heard this before.

Point vehicles need a a POINT COIL and a ballast resisitor. Do NOT installe a EI coil with points or a point conversion(Pertronix, Unilite ect...)

Skyblu 521 ,runs a matchbox he only needs a EI coil and DOESNT need to run a ballast resisitor.

Also Skyblu ck under the fuel poump soemtimes they leak and makes the fron cover look bad also.

I alsoways pressure wash it to dint where it comes from but soemtimes its only going to be a whole front cover regasket and its not worth it till it breaks or do a head gasket change ect..

Banzai. I actually did check under the fuel pump and it was leaking. I changed the gasket. So i guess it wasn't the timing cover. But i still have a leak. I looked more closely and it looks like it might b the rear main seal. Cause it leaks slowly while idling from the back of the engine. Thats gonna b fun to change.

Just like to say you're thread here is inspiring. I've had nothing but trouble with my 521, trying to get it together yet running out of money and time before school. I was thinking about scrapping the project but I'll be so happy and excited when I'm done. Just have to rough it out through these gremlins!

Good work, its fun to see it come together. My 521 is that interesting Datsun blue too...

Wow mandingo, that was some good work. I was totally blown away at the hard work you put in. Way to go. The wiring of the Matchbox is something I am still working out. The way I looked at it was to buy all the stuff that came off an engine that had a matchbox, I think I asked for distributor and stuff from a 720 or something year I don't remember you get the point. It's funny how people on the forum will say ahh no you don't need this or that just do this, but the parts guy says this is what came on the year and model truck you asked for. Ya see what I mean? So you end up with a hybrid wiring job half ratsun and half from the book. This is the fun of working on old cars, there is a gray area of opinion and history. Does that make any sense? Nice truck hombre.

thx. Yea definitely. It has been a challenge work on my "frankengine", matchbox dizzy, L20 cam, peanut head, webber carb, wrong(510) oil pan, dogleg tranny.The tricky part has been trying to figure out what year, and car parts i have on my rig. I've had to go back to parts store and return shit cause i got the wrong stuff. it has been an uphill battle trying to get everything right, but i see the light at the end of the tunnel. I love my truck and keeping it going.

• 1 month later...

pulled the valve cover off for the first time to check valve clearance.

(lost pic)

Supposed to be an L20 cam. but not sure. only markings i saw were U20 and either zz or 22(not shown).

sorry for bad pic, crappy cell phone cam. Anyone know how to Identify cams?

(lost pic)

• 1 month later...

that orange coolant is dexcool. it looks good. its not dirty coolant. theres a few different colors of antifreeze. Some have different contents too. Dexcool is something used in a lot of todays newer cars. It has a lot of silicone in it. I prefer the green stuff way over the dex. if mixed with green, it will gum up and plug the hell out of your heater core. so make sure it is all flushed out!

I prefer the green stuff way over the dex. if mixed with green, it will gum up and plug the hell out of your heater core. so make sure it is all flushed out!

Sometimes just mixing yellow and green coolants can cause this also...what a nightmare

that orange coolant is dexcool. it looks good. its not dirty coolant. theres a few different colors of antifreeze. Some have different contents too. Dexcool is something used in a lot of todays newer cars. It has a lot of silicone in it. I prefer the green stuff way over the dex. if mixed with green, it will gum up and plug the hell out of your heater core. so make sure it is all flushed out!

oh man, really? i thought it was rusty water. well i flushed my rad like 4 times. hopefully i got it all.

Sometimes just mixing yellow and green coolants can cause this also...what a nightmare

yupp cleaning up clogged radiators and heater cores blows hardcore!!

oh man, really? i thought it was rusty water. well i flushed my rad like 4 times. hopefully i got it all.

nope, looks like its fresh clean stuff too lol but good for you, you must be a natural to know its shit anyways! green is really the only way to go. theres a few diff colors. at least yellow, orange, pink, green. make sure you have a good quality coolant! you will know the difference! weather is doesnt cool normal, or eats your radiator apart

• 2 weeks later...

So my clutch slave took a dive yesterday and it's just puking brake fluid. gonna fix it soon. The hose is pretty toast too so i want to rplace that, I cant seem to find one. All my local parts stores dont list it. It looks very similar to the brake hose so I'm wondering if i can just order a brake hose from rockauto and hook it up? Anyone know if this is possible?

thx