total newbie needs advice on purchasing a 510

drawhappy

While on duty yesterday i noticed a datsun 510 in the garage of the house we were in. While giving directions to the owners wife to the Er for her husband, She said the following about the car It is primarily Arizona car. Her husband bought it new when he retired. We actually transported him to hospital so i wasnt able to look at it more, and i don't have pictures yet will post some when i go back to check it out. I am waiting for him to get back home from hospital . He said he wants to sell it and it has 90k original miles. 4 door, 3 speed atomatic. straight body original paint in decent shape, currently kept in garrage, not sure about how it was kept eairlier in the cars life. well maintained., oil changed every 3k, etc It is a daily driver well sort of until he couldn't drive it anymore for health reasons. My question is how do you know what it is worth so i don't overpay? what are some thinks to check out? so i know what im getting into without. biting off more than i can chew. I do have some experince with couple of 80s toyota's a cressida, and celica, but nothing this old, and never worked on datsun before. I am mechanical inclined and i have friends that can help with projects so i can learn as i do. I am also looking for project car to work on with my teenage boy soon to have drivers licences in( 2 years) this might fit the bill, so i would appreciate any advice and info that would help me make a decision on this car. I will post more info on it as soon as i can with pictures. my buddy looked at it from driveway and is waiting in the wings to step in if i am not interested so i know it is worth pursing, just need some info, and how to fix a value to it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Very Clean Stocker Is Worth No More Than $3000

Not true, a very clean stocker can fetch 5-6k depending, maybe more. Very clean stockers are getting hard to find, especially untouched.

Its hard to say without pictures, is there documentation? There is a thread on here called What to look for in a 510. Find it, read up on it. Theres some good info to look around for.

Without seeing pictures of it tho, i'd go with Zuesimo's price

• Like 1

Zeus you obviously havent met Arthur and his straight stock 4 door. His is easily worth 8k. Stockers are worth the money if they are great, and no rust, unmolested. Its like popin a cherry, hard to find one not popped ;)

Haha, and most the ones that aren't, you dont wanna!!! :rofl:

The old couple bought it brand new for $1500 ......... .. .. . any new car loses value right off the lot .... :lol:

$2,500-$3,000 would be a deal for you ..... .. .. but you know what their up-coming medical bills are gonna be.... :unsure: ... so....

That being said..... If I am getting an amberlamps ride to the ER ... .. . and a paramedic says, "hold on a minute,, I'm talking to the old lady about buying this Datsun"

I think I'd have another heart attack right there ....... :lol:

im still waiting for the gentleman to exit the hospital either whole or in a box. so someone will be there to let me look at itwink.gif

Don't wait. If you are interested in it, go see the old guy's wife now and get to know her. Let her know you are very interested and would like to look at it and leave your number. What, you're waiting to mention it to the widow at the funeral? Realtors (land pimps) read the obits all the time. If he comes home she'll be busy looking after him. Do it now.

http://www.the510rea...php?f=1&t=10023

http://www.the510rea...hp?f=33&t=12575

http://www.the510rea...php?f=1&t=13589

The old couple bought it brand new for $1500 ......... .. .. . any new car loses value right off the lot .... :lol:

$2,500-$3,000 would be a deal for you ..... .. .. but you know what their up-coming medical bills are gonna be.... :unsure: ... so....

That being said..... If I am getting an amberlamps ride to the ER ... .. . and a paramedic says, "hold on a minute,, I'm talking to the old lady about buying this Datsun"

I think I'd have another heart attack right there ....... :lol:

i know tacky right? however owners wife said i want to sell it before i could evan ask so........ not feeling to guilty i am checking it out. tomorrow at 8 am should have more info and some picturesbiggrin.gif

i know tacky right? however owners wife said i want to sell it before i could evan ask so........ not feeling to guilty i am checking it out. tomorrow at 8 am should have more info and some picturesbiggrin.gif

so i was in my truck driving over and owner called and said come by next week so pic and more info sometime next week when i go check out the car

Hey, if/when you get it contact me...........we have a local club with quite a bit of members.

Like the guys said, buy it quick. Because as soon as someone else finds it, it will be gone, I guarantee it.

People like me actively stop at houses and businesses that have Datsuns parked outside, either to say hi or ask if it's for sale.

Also, for what it's worth, I've had a bunch of 510's, so if you need help don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if/when you get it contact me...........we have a local club with quite a bit of members.

Like the guys said, buy it quick. Because as soon as someone else finds it, it will be gone, I guarantee it.

People like me actively stop at houses and businesses that have Datsuns parked outside, either to say hi or ask if it's for sale.

Also, for what it's worth, I've had a bunch of 510's, so if you need help don't hesitate to ask.

ok so after i finally get to view the car i realize the old man was off by 10 years his car is a 1978 510. He is orginal owner 86.5k original miles . have pictures loaded in picasa account not sure how to post them in this forum.

That would be the HL510, and unfortunately not nearly as valuable or cult-ish as the earlier PL510's. BUT, the HL can still be made to look pretty sweet. Still worth getting, but the price would have to be awfully cheap. HL510's in not great shape are unfortunately still just junk cars in the eyes of most. A nice minty fresh one would be worth having though.

You need to get the image link, which should be easily found through Picasa.....I know it is in Photobucket. Use the little picture in the Ratsun edit box to add the link.

That would be the HL510, and unfortunately not nearly as valuable or cult-ish as the earlier PL510's. BUT, the HL can still be made to look pretty sweet. Still worth getting, but the price would have to be awfully cheap. HL510's in not great shape are unfortunately still just junk cars in the eyes of most. A nice minty fresh one would be worth having though.

You need to get the image link, which should be easily found through Picasa.....I know it is in Photobucket. Use the little picture in the Ratsun edit box to add the link.

ok here is link to pictures sorry it took so long check it out tell me what you all think.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101250727818434458582/78Datsun510#

Looks like and L20B which is an engine that I really like. If it was a 5 speed, I would say offer $500 and maybe go up to $1000 if you really want it. Thats just my opinion of course. I owned a 1980 510, 4 door, several years ago before my trucks. It was a very dependable dd for several years and the only trouble that I ever had was keeping the brakes adjusted and the stock carb. If I had known about this forum then or knew as much about the L20B and the carb options or how to keep the car maintained, I might still be driving it. I bought it from the original owner for $800 and put well over 100k on it and sold it 10 years later for $600. Not a bad investment! That car was the very reason that I own the 2 trucks that I have today. There are lots of others on here that are way more knowledgable than I am about these cars, so take their advice on the car. Dan

Advice, hmmm..............All depends on what you are looking to do in the Datsun world. If you're just looking for an obscure car to drive around, get it. If you want something you can modify, save for something else. You need to ask yourself if YOU like it. Regardless you'd be welcome to hang with our club in town. I agree on the price, start at $500, and a grand would be the absolute limit on that car.

Advice, hmmm..............All depends on what you are looking to do in the Datsun world. If you're just looking for an obscure car to drive around, get it. If you want something you can modify, save for something else. You need to ask yourself if YOU like it. Regardless you'd be welcome to hang with our club in town. I agree on the price, start at $500, and a grand would be the absolute limit on that car.

so i bought the car .I was looking for daily driver that doesnt need much work. i need seat bealts the ones in rear are not there and the front lab shoulder are shredded where do i find this and other parts that i might need?

https://picasaweb.google.com/101250727818434458582/MyNewCar#