New 620 owner

hoopty

Hey all, I've been following Ratsun for a while looking at all the various builds. I ended up finding a great price for a decent 72 620 and had to go for it. I bought it today and dragged it home. It has been sitting since 99 and has very little rust outside of the fenders and tailgate.

Here are some pics!

8f341c52.jpg?t=1297297783 65e424b9.jpg?t=1297297783 bbb8b40d.jpg?t=1297297783

It has a fairly new rebuilt L series (from 99), 1600 i assume but i couldn't find a engine stamp at a quick glance to confirm it. Where is the stamp located on the block?

Also there is no power to any electrical components, the wiring seems to be slightly tampered with, does anyone have a good reference for a wiring diagram?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys, turns out its the original block, head was definitely replaced. and it is a 72. 72 was the first year for the 620 i believe.

anyway i have a few questions about doing a 5 speed swap, i've done a little research in the past and found bits of information. Z trannys are incompatible correct? theres always the possibility of a housing swaps ive seem to hear, i assume that means to swap the internals from a Z tranny to my housing? then theres the drive shaft and shifter issues ive heard. What is the most suitable tranny fitment wise for my truck?

The 1st year for the 620 was 72 1/2. A few ways to tell is look under the front part of the frame & see if theres just 1 tow hook. If so..72 1/2. Another thing to look for is if the doors are original there will be a door pull on the top of the door & no arm rests.

I saw this 620 on CL for a few weeks//good score. Does it currently run ? I would 1st get it running good & drive it for awhile & work out any bugs & or issues. You can use a 5 speed out of a 280 ZX 81-83 & it will bolt to your motor. You will have to shorten the front driveshaft, use the truck clutch slave & throw out bearing & trim the floor back a bit for the shifter [ZX trans is longer].

Go here for TONS of info including wiring diagrams........http://www.olddatsuns.com/

Also if you want to sell the outside door mirror ill take it :D Im in San diego too :cool: welcome to Ratsun.

Hoopty - I have a dogleg 200SX 5 speed I just pulled from my 72 620 (pictured in my avatar). It shift perfect and no issues with it. It is a direct bolt in requiring no modifications. If interested , you can have it for $250. PM me if interetsed.

The 1st year for the 620 was 72 1/2. A few ways to tell is look under the front part of the frame & see if theres just 1 tow hook. If so..72 1/2. Another thing to look for is if the doors are original there will be a door pull on the top of the door & no arm rests.

My understanding were that the door pull handles were available through '78 with the arm rests as an option till then and standard equipment on the '79s.

I ended up getting it for 800, the guy originally wanted twelve. Ive been looking in San Diego for a while and havent seen much for the price range I was working with. I just hope she runs as good as she looks, you just never no. It sucks that I'm so busy the next few weeks, I just want to get it started...