Need help on replacing shocks

voltron_boi

Hi everyone, I had just bought a 73 2 door 510 last 3 days ago. Drove it home and the car was so bumping, like the car was rock climbing when it hits a bump. The car has airbag on all 4 corner. The guy say that I will need to replace the rear. I'm so new on this airbag stuff and 510 suspension. I want my ride to be a smooth car. So as of now want kind of shock should I look for? Will the regular 510 shock work, or does it have to be a special shocks replacement? Please help

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this car before... If it were mine I would pull the airbags off and re install some coilovers front and rear and call it a day, having airbags on a 510 is well... to each his own I guess. the car isnt to bad if its the same car looks like someone took the time to hand form the small flares front and rear I think it looks cool

Yeah It does have airbag, will post picture as soon as I get off work. If your from the bay area in California then maybe you guys had seen this ride before. Bought this car from a guy that live in Hayward. Will coil-over sounds nice but for now I preferr the way it is untill I fix the body. Just need advice on what strut should I get for the rear. Anyone?

I have seen this car before... If it were mine I would pull the airbags off and re install some coilovers front and rear and call it a day, having airbags on a 510 is well... to each his own I guess. the car isnt to bad if its the same car looks like someone took the time to hand form the small flares front and rear I think it looks cool

Yeah i think that's the one where talking about lol.

Yeah It does have airbag, will post picture as soon as I get off work. If your from the bay area in California then maybe you guys had seen this ride before. Bought this car from a guy that live in Hayward. Will coil-over sounds nice but for now I preferr the way it is untill I fix the body. Just need advice on what strut should I get for the rear. Anyone?

I didnt take the time to look under the car to see how the bags were mounted and if he used the stock shocks, Can you take pictures of the rear suspension with the tires off? you may be able to get away with running a factory length shock in the rear or maybe one that is a bit shorter

Clayton

today was pretty windy so i didn't want to take the time and take off the tire, so instead just took a shot of the rear shocks. it looks like it doesn't have any springs on it for support and it doesn't look like the front shock where it has some tube that is mounted on top. So I'm guessing, i can just buy a regular shock for a 510 and it would work. will if that's the case, i prefer a adjustable shock, but have research and have no luck in one. so im asking you guys which adjustable shock will you guys prefer me to get as a replacement.

9424fc30.jpg

4f9da9a7.jpg

pull the rear shock out and see if it still works.

I am only guessing ,But assume the resr shock wore out.. if its not hard at all then replace it.

you can buy cheap gas shocks from Monroe or the cheap KYB GR2 for the rear. But pull them out maybe they are still good.

I assuem once you have your ride height you not adjusting up and down all the time to the max.

Your fronts I also assume that the strut tube has the airbladder in there. so really you dont have a shock absorber at all. just running on a baldder. Here were I think it will be bouncey.

take a photo of the front struts also.under the fender

pull the rear shock out and see if it still works.

I am only guessing ,But assume the resr shock wore out.. if its not hard at all then replace it.

you can buy cheap gas shocks from Monroe or the cheap KYB GR2 for the rear. But pull them out maybe they are still good.

I assuem once you have your ride height you not adjusting up and down all the time to the max.

Your fronts I also assume that the strut tube has the airbladder in there. so really you dont have a shock absorber at all. just running on a baldder. Here were I think it will be bouncey.

take a photo of the front struts also.under the fender

I decide to went uphead and order 1 pair of rear shocks of tokico blue. When the new one arrive I'll take off the old one and see if it's still good. If it is then I'll just send the new one back and stick with the old one. If it turns out to be like that then what should I do? Is airbag always this bouncey then?Today after work il take picture of the front for you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Im missing something in your post... did the guy say that you will have to replace the rear shocks or the rear airbags? If the rear bags are shot and you put those new shocks on youre going to ruin them FAST.

If you drop the car or raise the car past the functional limits of the shock youre going to ruin them fast too.

Remove your old shocks, lower the car as far as it will go and measure the distance between the mount points, then raise the car as high as it will go and do the same. Take the difference between them and this is the amount of travel you need your shock to have... The parts stores *might* be able to give you a range of travel on available shocks.

There was a guy on here that put some shocks for a lifted jeep YJ on the back of his dime and they bolted up... It would definitely be something to look at.

• 2 weeks later...