datsun swap

dash

would it be posable to swap a l20b for some thing like a Nissan 300ZX 90-96 DOHC V6 3.0L Twin Turbo VG30DETT Engine?? because i have one sitting in boxes that iv had for a few years and need a new project.... i was looking at chadcopelan 620 and it has a sr20det i beleave i was just wondering if this was possable?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would love to put it in my 620.. i just wanted to know if it was posable because if it is than i am defently going to do it but im going to need some help.......im pretty good at fab and money wont be an isue... just need the space ... but im moveing soon so the space wont be a problem.... so all i need is some one to help talk me throught this and help me find some parts for the 79 datsun

I am currently working on installing a VG-E motor into a 620, it fits and fits like it was meant to be their, but that DE motor is going to be a very tight fit if it will fit at all. The torsion bars are going to be a major problem if you try to run the Z32 transmission. A Z31 trans fits much better but may not be strong enough for the DE motor. And actually both trans fit, but the starter location of the DE motor interferes with the torsion bar in the passenger side. The other very tight spot is going to be the left cylinder head/cam cover clearance to the brake power booster. Exhaust will be a challenge, but it can be done(at least with the VG-E)

You can visit my build thread in my signature. I would recommend selling the VG-DE and purchasing a VG-E motor. However, any motor can be made to fit with the right amount of cutting and welding of the things in the way, But i want mine to fit with not body or frame modifications at all.

Good Luck

I am currently working on installing a VG-E motor into a 620, it fits and fits like it was meant to be their, but that DE motor is going to be a very tight fit if it will fit at all. The torsion bars are going to be a major problem if you try to run the Z32 transmission. A Z31 trans fits much better but may not be strong enough for the DE motor. And actually both trans fit, but the starter location of the DE motor interferes with the torsion bar in the passenger side. The other very tight spot is going to be the left cylinder head/cam cover clearance to the brake power booster. Exhaust will be a challenge, but it can be done(at least with the VG-E)

You can visit my build thread in my signature. I would recommend selling the VG-DE and purchasing a VG-E motor. However, any motor can be made to fit with the right amount of cutting and welding of the things in the way, But i want mine to fit with not body or frame modifications at all.

Good Luck

so i was wondering if i took some mesurements could you possably make me some motor mounts i could use in my swap to the vg-dett....

I'm working on a vg30de swap at the moment (literally I'm on my phone in my shop.) I decided to start by swapping the suspension from a j30t similarly to how Chad did the s13 undercarriage. This will hopefully open up some room by doing away with the torsion bars. Good luck. I just started stripping my chassis like an hour ago. Maybe we can swap ideas as we progress. Keep is posted.

I'm working on a vg30de swap at the moment (literally I'm on my phone in my shop.) I decided to start by swapping the suspension from a j30t similarly to how Chad did the s13 undercarriage. This will hopefully open up some room by doing away with the torsion bars. Good luck. I just started stripping my chassis like an hour ago. Maybe we can swap ideas as we progress. Keep is posted.

so your going with the tower thing chad did?.... im going with air bag and i pretty sure i wont have to deal with the torsion bar at all other that taking it off the truck

and guys give me a little brake this is my first major datsun project the only thing i have experance working with are older cheveys and ramblers so at least give me a little brake.... but i git my shop at the end of the month so i would love to swap ideas and kinda help out as much as i can and ill do what i can... good luck to you too

Yup. Just finished tearing the rear end down to a bare frame. Quitting for tonight. Hopefully in the next day or two I can get the j30 rear pulled so I can start fabbing. Also hope I can get it on the road cheaper than Chad. I plan to use as much of the j30 as possible to keep the price down but I guess this should all go in my build thread when I update next.

A friend and I were talking earlier about my truck build. He asked why I didn't find a twin Turbo motor instead. I said there was not really room. He says "throw the turbos in the back. You're cutting the bed already for suspension and gas tank. Put the turbos and ic back there too." So I told him about your build and figured I'd share the idea. I know it has me thinking.