cheap welder.

i got a ad in the mail selling this for 99 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html?p=2

I know you get what you pay for, but i am just needing a welder for a bit of body work. i dont need a welder very often but having one around when needed would be nice.

So i am asking just incase someone has had a bad experience with one.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main issues with those cheap welders are the drives usually suck hard to get a got IPM feed rate. Also the duty cycle will kill a welder quick, if you reach that point often. I weld for a living and I have a hell of a time with those stupid cheapo welders. If ya really like to grind welds when finished buy the harbor junk machine. If ya want a good weld any 115v miller or lincon is money well spent.

The main issues with those cheap welders are the drives usually suck hard to get a got IPM feed rate. Also the duty cycle will kill a welder quick, if you reach that point often. I weld for a living and I have a hell of a time with those stupid cheapo welders. If ya really like to grind welds when finished buy the harbor junk machine. If ya want a good weld any 115v miller or lincon is money well spent.

You dont want to be using flux welders on the sheetmetal of your car... its hard on the metal... hard to control heat to avoid warpage... and the flux is an oxidizer to bodyfiller and other polyesters... you risk alot issues

Good call! Trust me if your limited to only a 115v household outlet the lincons and millers are the way to go. You will curse and dread having to use that HF welder everytime ya blow a hole in the sheetmetal on your datto cause the heat control settings suck! Btw miller whips, and lincon whips usually are a take off of a tweko gun.

YOu said you only need to do just a little welding and my bet is you will ONLY GET a little welding from it..Also theres a lot to be said about the "quality" of the weld.

I own a welding business and id say 20% of my work is fixing peoples welds who tried what you are considering.Those machines just dont get "hot".

cold roll= inevitable failure. Buy a good used lincoln or miller and you will find tons of ways to get your money back from it.