the kids 79 Rabbit Diesel

so far i have three teenagers that have car projects. this is the latest. its has a rebuilt engine. the head bolts were not replaced and so we will replace bolts and head gasket. he will do some major cleaning up and it should be a nice car. i too will be looking for one of these some time, maybe after the Duster is done..

0205110932b.jpg

0205110932a.jpg

0205110932_2.jpg

0205110931a.jpg

0205110931.jpg

0205110930a.jpg

0205110930.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2.0 ABA swap! Should bolt up the tranny in there. My cousin just did the swap on his cabriolet. Note, the 2.0 ABA is not a performance engine but the economy engine from mk3 VW's. A reliable engine. This will still be an upgrade to the stock motor.

DER Im a retard. Yes keep it diesel. I have a friend with 6 diesel rabbits and 1 gas rabbit. Another friend has a mk1 jetta diesel. The old turbo diesels are a lot of fun in those. The friend with the 6 diesel rabbits has 2 that are turbo diesels and one of those is his DD. I am not saying TDI. That is a sweet car, hope he has lots of fun with it.

nice bunny! i had the exact same car with the exception mine had a sunroof, and a 5spd. awesome cars. there are a few tools needed for to lock the injection pump and cam so the timing stays right but those can be gotten for under $40 or so. just do your research and get a Bentley manual for 77-84 rabbit\jetta diesel. it will come in VERY handy for anything you do. heres a link to the publisher. you might find one at a used book store for a whole lot less.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/repair-information/vw-jetta-rabbit-deisel-1977-1984-repair-manual.html

2.0 ABA swap! Should bolt up the tranny in there. My cousin just did the swap on his cabriolet. Note, the 2.0 ABA is not a performance engine but the economy engine from mk3 VW's. A reliable engine. This will still be an upgrade to the stock motor.

ABA is an excellent swap should gas mileage not be an issue. Tap that with a JH head and a mild cam and that car will run circles all day. Best part, no smog because it holds a diesel title. Not a difficult change over, just a little time and sweat.

Isn't the ABA engine a gas engine? Would be a downgrade from diesel. Rabbit series one got 60 mpg from diesel, i think.

What's wrong with the head bolts? TTY design bolts should only be used once. Hopefully they at least used a torque wrench...

VW has 2 types of head bolts, allen and hex. One is reusable, the other is not. I just can't remember which is without looking in my books.

If you need any help, give me an IM. I just got done completely rebuilding a 1.6 european uber rare heron (in the US) thats still waiting start-up.

well today he started sanding the wheels and he prepped, painted and cleared the wheels. took some never-dull to the center caps. accented the VW logo with some paint. its looking pretty good! he is learning skills too. :) these are some fun times. their umbilical cords to the PS3 have been cut slightly, not severed.... so there might be a chance for these guys to become men someday :D

20110213173156.jpg

20110213173143.jpg