510 auto trans issues

I should just replace the auto trans with 5 speed but I figured I'd ask what are the most common issues with the 510 automatic transmissions not working? Since the weather sucks I cant go check out what the issue is so I thought I'd ask so I'd have some idea on what might be the issue ahead of time. Google has come on with nadda on this subject, best advise it offered was "swap the transmission!"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the year. There were three? styles of the BW (Borg Warner) 35 used and the later Nissan/JATCO 3 speed.

What does it 'not do'? Does it not go into fwd or rev?

There are a few checks you can do. Fluid level should be at or near the full level when warm. Low is as bad as over full.

What color is it? Anything other that bright clear see through ruby red is likely a problem.

Has it been changed recently? Was the proper Dexron ATF used? Earlier Ford type is not compatible.

What's the history on this. Is this a sudden change or has the transmission been acting up and just gotten worse?

I'd say the last change was done in the early 2000's I'll have to check which one it is when I'm there as they said they replaced it once already and rtv'ed the fuck out of the thing which caused lots of rtv chunks in it..But from what I'm told it doesn't go into drive or reverse, has fluid showing full with good red color. The only real history I know on it is the original l16 blew up so they replaced it with another and the transmission that came with it also went in. The car drove fine for like 20 miles and stopped working and has sat since.

I'm kinda thinking the transmission is fucked or something going on with the silicone all in the trans causing an issue but any other things that would cause the issue so I know what to at least look for as I don't know these cars that well and haven't found a whole lot on the auto's.

The filter may be plugged with the RTV. Drop the pan and replace with a kit. The proper gasket comes with it. Fuckin' backyard mechanics that fix everything with a crescent wrench and rtv.Replace the ATF too. It's good for about 100K.

The filter may be plugged with the RTV. Drop the pan and replace wioth a kit. The proper gasket comes with it. Fuckin' backyard mechanics that fix everything with a crescent wrench and rtv.

I agree on that lol fix everything with a wrench and rtv, but on the bright side might have scored me a cheap datto! :D

Fuck automatics. I'll go to the wrecking yard and GIVE you a 4 or 5 speed, just to not have another damn automatic in the poor car. Automatics suck the life out of vehicles. Unless you're crippled or have a bum knee, then they're fine. Other than that, I've owned one in my lifetime, and short of debilitating disease that's the last one I'll ever own. I'll probably be the only 80 year old guy still driving a stick shift and yelling at the car dealers that I don't want an automatic. Provided I live that long. :P

Fuck automatics. I'll go to the wrecking yard and GIVE you a 4 or 5 speed, just to not have another damn automatic in the poor car. Automatics suck the life out of vehicles. Unless you're crippled or have a bum knee, then they're fine. Other than that, I've owned one in my lifetime, and short of debilitating disease that's the last one I'll ever own. I'll probably be the only 80 year old guy still driving a stick shift and yelling at the car dealers that I don't want an automatic. Provided I live that long. :P

It will be a daily driver, so not really worried about the transmission being a 5 speed or an auto, just as long as it drives and is cheap. :lol:

Automatic Scenario for daily driver #1: Lets say you go fishing at a remote lake 30 miles outside of town. You're the only person at the lake. At the end of the day, you get into your 510 and the transmission makes funny clicking noises and refuses to move.

Manual Scenario for daily driver #1: Even if the stick jumps out of gear and the transmission makes horrible noises, you can still hold the stick in gear and drive towards home and probably make it. If your slave cylinder takes a shit, you can rev match and shift anyway except 1st and reverse.

If your battery dies and you need to get the car running, you can pop start it. Not the case with an auto as you have to get the car rolling to about 30 mph before it will start. And at that point you've already screwed up the auto trans since it's not slinging oil because the motor isn't turning but the drive shaft is.

Cheapness to fix an auto trans? None. Cheapness to fix a manual trans? Very cheap. No fluid or filter to fill, flush, maintain, make sure fluid doesn't get too hot. Automatics suck period.

You can't tow start an automatic, well some very rare old 50s ones with a reverse oil pump you could. They are boring to drive compared to a stick but they are reliable and it's really hard to drive the shit out of them. I wasn't thrilled to find my 710 sedan was an auto but figured I could always change it. After driving it for a while I love it! Yes I would rather have a stick but nothing wrong with an auto either. Goes like stink with L18 and 4.11s in it and hit 90 mph coming home from Canby!

My 710 goon came with a 4 speed so I have the best of both worlds. Mrs. d has the auto and I have the goon.

My British Borg Warner is 44 years old and runs like a champ. Every 2 years, whether it needs it or not, it gets a new filter, gasket and band adjust [remember when you could do that? The top band is a bitch to get to.] It was originally designed for AQATF Type A fluid, but GM type [definitely not early Ford type] fluid is the preferred alternate.

Mike do you have a picture of it and a year? Must be mid 60s?

Heat is by far the biggest cause of failure in automatics. Heat even if not severe will over time destroy the ATF's properties. On average it will last about 100K which is a long enough time for a second owner to have it and maybe a third, who never keep up the oil changes. Kudos for over changing yours but you can't go wrong with that as the alternative is finding a new one in as good a condition. Very unlikely.

Mike do you have a picture of it and a year? Must be mid 60s?

Heat is by far the biggest cause of failure in automatics. Heat even if not severe will over time destroy the ATF's properties. On average it will last about 100K which is a long enough time for a second owner to have it and maybe a third, who never keep up the oil changes. Kudos for over changing yours but you can't go wrong with that as the alternative is finding a new one in as good a condition. Very unlikely.

It's in my 1967 RL411 and is the original transmission. I have no picture since it is still in the car, I removed the transmission and adjusted all the bands while they were easy to get to and did the filter and gasket swap when I rebuilt the engine at 120000 miles but took no pictures. [by the way, the cylinder bore had only has 5 thousanths wear, that's why Datsun only stocked normal ring sets, no oversize in stock.] All adjustments etc since then are by laying flat on my back and skinning my knuckles on the top adjust fitting. I have only 158,888 miles on the car.