photobucket issues/problems

Do any of you photobucket users have problems if you leave that window open for longer periods of time such as an hour or more? The longer that window is open, the slower my computer gets till it doesn't respond at all. After an hour, it won't even shut down/exit anymore, I can still use it for a while. When it does exit, everything exits/shuts down except my email. Is this normal, and you have to live with it to use photobucket? wayno

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you photobucket users have problems if you leave that window open for longer periods of time such as an hour or more? The longer that window is open, the slower my computer gets till it doesn't respond at all. After an hour, it won't even shut down/exit anymore, I can still use it for a while. When it does exit, everything exits/shuts down except my email. Is this normal, and you have to live with it to use photobucket? wayno

Sounds like you have a computer virus. Do you have, and use, Norton AntiVirus or the like?

I have microsoft security essentials and have had it for a while now. Pictures/photos seem to mess up my computer a lot, I even have had problems with certain threads with a lot of photos, yet other ones with just as many pictures i have no problems. If I leave photobucket on to long it starts to lock, I can tell it's coming because the mouse gets jumpy/irradic, if I close it(photobucket) and delete all the cookies, after a few minutes I am good to go again. Sometimes I forget it is going in the background and walk away for a several hours, when I come back, it only functions for a minute or less before I have trouble even shuting the computer down. If photobucket is not running, I can walk away the whole day, come back with no issues.

I had this long post and erased it all, you guys don't need to hear all my crap, I have two processers it says, they are, "intel pentium D Processer 820" featuring two processing cores. This may be old tech. now, i don't know, as I am computer illiterate. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few things:

1) how much ram do you have? (start>right click my computer>properties) it should pop up a window with some info one will be installed ram.

2) Download and run Ccleaner. This will remove old crap in your computer, as well as fix errors.

3) Download and run "Malwarebytes". Strong virus removal.

I have had some "wonky" things happen with Photobucket, mainly issues with loading photos into it.

My computer is running Ubuntu 10.04, and I use a Firefox 3.6.13 browser.

Photobucket is a "free" site. They are trying to get you to look at things they are advertising. somebody has to pay for Photobucket servers. They may be trying to get some pop up to appear, and your computer is not liking that. They might be looking for some demographic information they can sell to marketing groups. I do not know.

I try not to leave Photobucket windows open, unless I am using it. It might be a good idea to clear your history before and after Photobucket sessions.

I have had some "wonky" things happen with Photobucket, mainly issues with loading photos into it.

My computer is running Ubuntu 10.04, and I use a Firefox 3.6.13 browser.

Photobucket is a "free" site. They are trying to get you to look at things they are advertising. somebody has to pay for Photobucket servers. They may be trying to get some pop up to appear, and your computer is not liking that. They might be looking for some demographic information they can sell to marketing groups. I do not know.

I try not to leave Photobucket windows open, unless I am using it. It might be a good idea to clear your history before and after Photobucket sessions.

Get an ad blocker. I use adblocker plus. I see no ads ever, and it speeds up websites.

Took me a while to find it, I have 448mb of RAM Leacaon, I bought this computer in 2007, it says it has norton internet security 2006 out of the box. I have no idea if it is active security, i do have active microsoft security essentials. I do have somekind of popup blocker as a lot of my emails are incomplete unless I open them via a bar on the top of the window. All my problems seem to involve pictures/photos and it is the worst when photobucket is active. wayno

Info is stored in your computer just like in the refrigerator.... anywhere it will fit, including breaking it up into pieces to fit little pidgeon holes. This makes it slower to retrieve. You can run a disc defragmenter by clicking START selecting ALL PROGRAMS 9a list will appear) click on ACCESSORIES (another list appears) click SYSTEM TOOLS (another list) select DISC DEFRAGMENTER. Click and a window will open. Follow instructions or click DEFRAGMENT your computer will sort and collect all the fragments and file in order. Could take half an hour or more but you can use the computer while it is working. Should be done every month or even every week depending on use.

448 is hardly enough to run XP. I highly suggest getting a 1gb stick of ram, Im assuming DDR2 as of the age. This will speed up your computer alot.

something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146117

what brand/model of computer do you have so I can double check to see if it is DDR2? and it is a desktop right?

What mike said will help your computer, but I am doubtful of it fixing your problem. You see, When I had XP I tried to make it use as little ram as possible, the lowest I could get it with a few certain programs running was 432mb. Now you get your web browser open and visit a page full of 2,3,4 mb pictures this is going to take up space. My firefox is currently running at 200mb... you get the idea. More programs means needing more ram.

Now as for what I said about malwarebytes, it is NOT active antivirus, it is just a powerful virus remover. You can still get virus with any antivirus (I have done it :)) but I have also ran a year without any antivirus and was fine. I highly suggest removing Norton Antivirus, especially if you have Windows Security Essentials. I have never liked Norton, and your version is 2006, I suspect your license is out too. Having 2 antivirus programs running at the same time can be very bad for the system too. Google can assist with removing Norton.

I don't think the norton antivirus program is active, as the one guy said I had nothing, and all he wanted to do was sell me antivirus stuff, I messed up trying to change service providers, and nothing worked, so I called him to get me back online and he told me what I wanted couldn't be done, and he left after I refused to buy antivirus stuff from him, the next guy had me going in less than an hour, plus he set up the microsoft security essentails basicly for free, for $50.00 all my troubles went away, the guy was/is awesome! I have had him back one other time, and it was because of photobucket, he was able to get me back into it, but a lot of things changed that day, short cuts I had back then didn't exist after that day. wayno

Sounds like you may have a photo add-on program that is slowing your PC down. Even for example if you show a web page.

Uninstall the old version of Norton Security, and your PC will speed up dramatically. You have another security program and you don't need two of the same kind.

As far as hardware goes:

* a Pentium 820 is still a relatively fast processor, especially as yours has a hyperthreading core.Many of the newer "dual cores' are actually slower

* IE 7 needs more RAM than IE6. Use 3GB of RAM with IE7/IE8 or 256MB with IE6.

* For general user editing 5 megapixel photos use 1GB or more RAM

* 448 MB RAM is plenty for XP. But modern programs like IE8 and photo-editing software will want more RAM.

ive actually had issues with the adds on pbucket before.

use the prog's suggested earlier, then open your browser, find the cookie settings and set it so you dont accept 3rd party cookies from pbucket.

also +eleventybillion on more ram, if you can fit more in there you dont have enough.

I finally was able to find/get to the norton security program, and when I began to open it, a warning appeared that said I was attempting to enter an important system that was being used and could cause damage, This is WAY over my head, I exited. It's one thing to call someone in because i'm having problems, it's totally another thing to call someone in because nothing works anymore, and they have no idea what you did, and I don't know either. I have it set for cookie promting, and do not except 3rd party cookies already. I am making a list for the PC guy now on things to do if/when it gets worse, fact is I have already had to shut it down twice this morning after going into "my pictures" wayno

* IE 7 needs more RAM than IE6. Use 3GB of RAM with IE7/IE8 or 256MB with IE6.

* 448 MB RAM is plenty for XP. But modern programs like IE8 and photo-editing software will want more RAM.

ANYONE WITH IE6 STILL INSTALLED ON THEIR COMPUTER SHOULD REMOVE/UPDATE NOW!!! IE6 is the bane of every single web developer, whole websites are dropping support, it is holding back development. It should be a forced update. That said why are you using IE unless your work demands it? IE is notoriously the worst web browser.

Wayno what web browser do you have?

PS, the ram/memory I linked you to will work in your computer.

I know just enough to likely answer this question correctly, I have IE, don't know which one though. This thread is starting to depress me. Have you ever heard of the therory that if you take a beginner, and advance them to fast they will actually take a step backwards? If I buy a new computer now, and have to learn it all over again because everything works differant, it will take months, if not a year to get back to where I am now. I have never really thought about another internet browser, I suppose there is more than one, I just use whatever is on the computer when I bought it. Heres an example of me, give me a broken L20b engine, I will get it running given enough time no matter whats wrong, give me a broken 2010 corvette engine, it will likely never run again. wayno

I know just enough to likely answer this question correctly, I have IE, don't know which one though. This thread is starting to depress me. Have you ever heard of the therory that if you take a beginner, and advance them to fast they will actually take a step backwards? If I buy a new computer now, and have to learn it all over again because everything works differant, it will take months, if not a year to get back to where I am now. I have never really thought about another internet browser, I suppose there is more than one, I just use whatever is on the computer when I bought it. Heres an example of me, give me a broken L20b engine, I will get it running given enough time no matter whats wrong, give me a broken 2010 corvette engine, it will likely never run again. wayno

In the UK microsoft was court ordered to make a screen where you choose which browser you want. IE is not default. All are installed for you and it chooses the default based on your decisions.

use this browser, called Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome it is very easy to use, and very stable.

After installing Chome get this extension: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en