How to put together a shortshaft 5 speed for a L20b

wayno

Only the late L series 4 speed longshaft case will work though, I don't believe that a early/stock shortshaft 4 speed case will work, it's a different tranny.

You will also need to remove the big cluster gear bearing on the 85/86 shortshaft 5 speed, and put the small bearing on, as the early 720 L case(80-83ish) has a small bearing.

I have been told that the 620 5 speed case will also work, but I have never tried it, so I don't know that for sure.

It's not cheap when you need two transmissions to make one good one, that is why I used to pull both trannys in the same wrecking yard, and make the one I needed right there out of the two, and just pay for the one I wanted, they had no idea I was doing that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L 4 and 5 speed 71B front cases are exactly the same. Usually the reverse switches are in the same location but some 4 speeds are about an inch to the rear. These you would have to plug and drill and tap a new hole. Or just look for the correct 5 speed case.

Never seen an L or Z five speed that didn't have the reverse switch here...

FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

Here is a 4 speed case that was plugged and anew hole added just forward of it. I've never seen one but just watch for them

relocatereverseswitchfor5spd.jpg

I used a 620 5 sp bell on my short tail 720 transmission from a 86 standard cab....it was a much easier swap to do, then I convinced myself of in my mind...with both trannys on the work bench it took about a hour and that was double checking this thread for proper procedure..

...the only thing left is swapping the speedo gear which I should have done on the ground then in the 521

I ask because I noticed my spare dogleg tranny is actually for a Z series motor. So I will need to swap front cases.

Also, I have seen some sources saying that the Z dogleg has different gear ratios than the L dogleg. Specifically Im most worried about 5th gear as it looks to be less of an overdrive (barely)

There are two different gear sets for the 63A dogleg. One for L series and another for the Z series.The Z series were only on the 80-'81 A10 (later HL510)

3rd, 4th and overdrive ratios are exactly the same. First and second are slightly closer together on the Z series.

• 1 month later...

32136-U0100 used from '71 through the Xterra. I find the NAPA one is thinner and can be (carefully) driven into the tail a little further than the stock thicker one. This places the seal lips on a fresh section of driveshaft spline so it seals better. Always lube before shoving it in.

• 11 months later...

I know this was a old thread but thank you for your help I just built a 5 speed with a 4 speed bell housing from a 76 620 and a napz 5speed from a wheel drive 720 can't wait to get it in the truck

Are you saying you made a shortshaft 5 speed out of a 4WD shortshaft transmission?

Does it have a speedometer drive connection?