help..car bogs n looses power

80datson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i changed the fuel filter maby like 2 years ago maby longer. would i need a new one?

:o

whens the last time you did the rest of the regular maintenance?

(spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, oil change, checking valve clearances, ect)

:o

whens the last time you did the rest of the regular maintenance?

(spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, oil change, checking valve clearances, ect)

What he said!!

You have a lot of maintinence that you need to do if you haven't been on top of it man.

You got an electronic ignition, so no points to deal with. Check ignition timing.

well i changed the spark plugs and wires and rotor and cap about 3 or 2 years ago. so i will be going to autozone and picking up new ones. also i will get some carb cleanr and is there a way to test or know if the ignition coil is bad? also im thinkin of putting a bigger battery looks like i have quite a bit of room for one

Battery won't fix this nor a new coil. A Datsun will run with a motorcycle battery in it. Same with the coil... if it runs it's working. Spend the money on new wires cap and rotor. These are high wear items that just wear out or their performance degrades until you have a running problem. Again they are likely past due for replacement so no harm done.

well i changed the spark plugs and wires and rotor and cap about 3 or 2 years ago

Be honest they propably still good. unless you bought the cheapest shit on the planet.

Buy NGK wire sets and plugs. dizzy cap, look under for aything obvious and clean contack & rotor.I been using the same dizy cap for 6 yrs or more.

I would ck for dizzy shaft wear, if if it wiggles.

as for the bigger battery statment means car runs better with heat, lights off. if not then it cant be a bigger battery as your alternator would load down then runs off the battery till it dies. If car starts up fine then battery is Ok.

Maybe ck the voltage at the battery then load it down with the lights and heater at say 2k RPM. if it still above 12.5volts at 2000 rpm I say its OK.

have you put a timming light on it?try that first.

Pumpkin 210 on here is good with A series motors PM him

Clean the fuel pump? You might need to replace the fuel filter, but otherwise there is no cleaning needed. You can make a fuel pump look less greasy -- spray with ether (starting fluid) or engine cleaner or my favorite (carb cleaner) on it and scrub it with a toothbrush.

My distributor cap is over 10 years old and still going strong. Plugs are 4-years and still good. Just regap em once a year. The Matchbox keeps the plugs in good shape. Your 1980 should have a Matchbox ignition too.