A14 pipe/filter: What the hell is this?

JasonGW

On a friend's datsun she's having a problem finding the filters connected to the Reed valves in the air cleaner canister. The existing filters are clogged, so she keeps blowing the rubber hoses that run between those pipes and the air cleaner canister. As near as I can tell, it seems these pipes just pump hot exhaust into the canister. I have no idea why. Can they be removed and plugged off? I've traced the pipes I'm talking about in red in this pic (just snagged a pic off the internet, it's not from her car).

Advice would be appreciated, thank you!

a14.jpg?psid=1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stainless pipe dumps air into the exhaust manifold. The reeds are there to prevent the air from going back into the air filter.

You can remove it and plug the holes, but then it won't pass an emissions test.

Damn, and it needs a smog check, too. Will it not pass as a result of emissions or just the visual inspection portion of the test?

Any idea where to get the filters for those reed valves?

Damn, and it needs a smog check, too. Will it not pass as a result of emissions or just the visual inspection portion of the test?

Any idea where to get the filters for those reed valves?

Both, but mostly the visual. It's been a long time since I worked on one of those, but IIRC, you can get a couple 80's Chevy crankcase filters and make them work. Post up a pic of the filter, I'm sure someone will have a workaround.

Mark

On a friend's datsun she's having a problem finding the filters connected to the Reed valves in the air cleaner canister. The existing filters are clogged, so she keeps blowing the rubber hoses that run between those pipes and the air cleaner canister. As near as I can tell, it seems these pipes just pump hot exhaust into the canister. I have no idea why. Can they be removed and plugged off? I've traced the pipes I'm talking about in red in this pic (just snagged a pic off the internet, it's not from her car).

Advice would be appreciated, thank you!

a14.jpg?psid=1

Behind every exhaust pulse is a vacuum pulse. These vacuum pulses are used to draw filtered air in from the air filter through one way reed valves. The air sucked in by the vacuum pulses are fed into the exhaust system to mix with the unburned gasses so that the catalytic converter can oxidize them.

The filters should NOT be getting plugged as only fresh air should be going through them. Perhaps the one way valves have failed. Try to blow into the hose. If you can blow into the valve then the one way valve is bad.

Try 16565 U6700 for the filter at the dealer about $3. What year 210???

Behind every exhaust pulse is a vacuum pulse. These vacuum pulses are used to draw filtered air in from the air filter through one way reed valves. The air sucked in by the vacuum pulses are fed into the exhaust system to mix with the unburned gasses so that the catalytic converter can oxidize them.

The filters should NOT be getting plugged as only fresh air should be going through them. Perhaps the one way valves have failed. Try to blow into the hose. If you can blow into the valve then the one way valve is bad.

Try 16565 U6700 for the filter at the dealer about $3. What year 210???

Thanks, it's an 82 210. So do you mean to blow into the hose *toward* the air cleaner or *toward* the block (ie, into the metal tube)?

So if I understand you correctly, these metal tubes don't blow INTO the air cleaner canister, they pull air OUT from it? So what happens if I just cap them off (remove the hoses and cap the metal lines and the Air cleaner canister)?

Thanks for the info! :)