Brake lines - Hard lines

Shagy

When doing one of the "ground up" rebuilds... what are you guys doing for brake lines? Do you take them off and have them cleaned out or do you remake them as best you can?

If you clean them, what do you use? Would you acid dip them or would that lead to potential leaks?

If you re bend them - Where do you find the tubing long enough? Or do you just take short pieces and joint them together?

I want to tear all the brake lines off the wagon so I can make media blasting her much easier but I'm not sure on the proper way to do it.

TIA

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

You can disconnect each line and blow them out with a healthy blast of compressed air. You could also duplicate the factory lines if you're comfortable using a tubing bender, it's pretty easy actually and the Harbor Freight ones are fairly cheap and work well. MKlotz did really good set of how-to vids on brake lines/flares. It's in the how-to section. Another option would be to carefully remove each line and have them copied at a shop specializing in lines/fittings, etc. Up here in WA, we have a killer shop called William's Oil filter Service Co. that I go to for all my braided lines, AN fittings, etc. Maybe there's something like that down there? The cool thing about brake lines is that it doesnt cost a whole lot to teach yourself how to do em (dont cost much to replace if you mess up :D).

You can disconnect each line and blow them out with a healthy blast of compressed air. You could also duplicate the factory lines if you're comfortable using a tubing bender, it's pretty easy actually and the Harbor Freight ones are fairly cheap and work well. MKlotz did really good set of how-to vids on brake lines/flares. It's in the how-to section. Another option would be to carefully remove each line and have them copied at a shop specializing in lines/fittings, etc. Up here in WA, we have a killer shop called William's Oil filter Service Co. that I go to for all my braided lines, AN fittings, etc. Maybe there's something like that down there? The cool thing about brake lines is that it doesnt cost a whole lot to teach yourself how to do em (dont cost much to replace if you mess up :D).

If you have a guess at how long each line is you can order stainless lines that just need bent from like summit or jegs.

TSR makes a stainless hardline kit for the sedan. Im sure you could adapt it to the wagon if you needed to.

I personally would replace it all start fresh. If the stainless kit is not in you budget you could bend steel lines to match what you took off. There are channel lock pliers made to remove old lines a great investment to save yourself some grief also soak the threads with wd40 or something the day or two before. Get a good flair tool and line bender check out parker tools and http://www.brakequip.com/. The cheaper tools will work but it always seems the part you spent the most time on does not want to cooperate.

Thank you for the options. I have flair tools here and the proper wrenches (tech for 11 years).

I was going to have them dipped in this acid tank in dallas, figured that would get them clean. I'm going to look into having them reproduced.

Thank you for the options. I have flair tools here and the proper wrenches (tech for 11 years).

I was going to have them dipped in this acid tank in dallas, figured that would get them clean. I'm going to look into having them reproduced.

I blasted mine with brake cleaner and then I cleaned them up using sandpaper. I sanded them smooth and then painted them silver and then hit ehm with a clear coat.

I blasted mine with brake cleaner and then I cleaned them up using sandpaper. I sanded them smooth and then painted them silver and then hit ehm with a clear coat.

Good idea.

Dipping will remove any coating that still exists and accellerate corrosion.Douche them out and use-or replace.

Thanks. I was wondering about that.