Datsun 521 Performance Brake Shoes

brodster

I would love to get 15" rims and upgrade to disc brakes, but I want to keep the stock wheels on my 521. I was reading a DQ article about using NISMO greenstuff pads to boost the 510 performance. Is there anything equivalent for the 521? Stock nissan shoes the best (if they are available)?

Thanks. I am open to anything that will allow me to keep my stock wheels.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to get 15" rims and upgrade to disc brakes, but I want to keep the stock wheels on my 521. I was reading a DQ article about using NISMO greenstuff pads to boost the 510 performance. Is there anything equivalent for the 521? Stock nissan shoes the best (if they are available)?

Thanks. I am open to anything that will allow me to keep my stock wheels.

mklotz's brake kit lets you run the stock 14"s, I believe

Yes, Mikes kit will fit but it took a little grinding on the caliper. See photos below.

Had to source 620 hubs to fit on the stock rims, 720 hubs can be turned down to fit but the 620's fit without modification.

Nice kit easy to install, the hardest part was the grinding to fit the wheel with enough clearance with the stock rims.

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

Hears the grinding on the caliper.

-4.jpg

Stock rims back on.

-5.jpg

• 1 month later...

The mid '85 or older 720 hubs should not require any machining. After '85 they used the same big center hole as the hardbody. Prior to '83, they used the same hub as the 620(disc).

Aaron...pm sent about the grinding :)

• 4 months later...

Just happened across this....thought I'd add some info for anyone else that reads it.

The grinding was required only with the stock rims. The alternative is to use a 1/4" wheel spacer if you don't want to grind on the caliper. For more info on the installation of the kit.....

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/truck-kit-install.html