Improving full drum brakes

d510addict

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I let it go about six months, they go away gradually, adjusted them last week, almost put myself through the windshield! forgot how good they can be

Damn really? mine need to be adjusted on the 521. Seems like they work ok if i press harder. I'd like it to stop a bit better tho. I hate adjusting the drums. Guess i should do it, one day ;) But gotta work on the dime first!

Don't quote me on this but there is, but I believe, an axle difference between self adjusting and the earlier 720 axles. The self adjusting and longer. On top of that 720 axles are longer than 521 so you can't just put 720 axles with adjusters in the 521.

wow that was mike's 17,000 post!

:o

keeping them adjusted is the best thing you can do, its amazing how well they work when they are adjusted correctly.

... and the best way to keep up on them, I've found, is to adjust every other oil change.

• 4 weeks later...

True that! 10" drum X 4 brakes will get you stopped pretty good on a 2,700 lb truck. The problem is keeping them in adjustment. I had a 521 and (I never did) to keep it that way you would have to set them every 2 weeks.

I would imagine the brakes on the 521 and the 620, which is what i have, are almost the same or very similar. What you said about adjusting for the 521, adjusting for the 620 brakes would probably help fix this problem too right? mine are very abrupt right now. if i push down on the pedal a little, nothing happens, if i push down just a little more with normal pressure from my foot, they lock up and i skid. lol. this hardly seems normal. i have to baby the pedal very slowly not giving it too much pressure but just the right amount to stop slowly. Im too scared to drive over 30mph. maybe bleeding the brake lines or having the inside of the drums milled a little to clean the surface as well? any suggestions of what I could or should do to get the brakes working better?

I would bleed them fully replacing all the fluid from the master back. Most of the braking effort is done by the fronts with maybe 20% to the rears. Because of weight shift to the front they are harder to lock up the rear becomes lighter and are easier to lock. If your fronts are mushy the rears will have to work harder and will lock easier.

I have never owned anything besides an old International Pick-up that had drums all around until now. Mine are ok but I just found out what I'm doing tomorrow seems like an easy thing to do that would make a big drivability difference. Man this forum is too cool! biggrin.gif

Oh and duh should of snapped to this just so used to discs up front that I never really thought about it.

I would bleed them fully replacing all the fluid from the master back. Most of the braking effort is done by the fronts with maybe 20% to the rears. Because of weight shift to the front they are harder to lock up the rear becomes lighter and are easier to lock. If your fronts are mushy the rears will have to work harder and will lock easier.

that's a good point. Ill probably do that first and see if it makes a difference.

Look on the drum there are two small threaded holes across from each other. Get a bolt that threads it (don't know the size) tighten in alternately and the bolt bottoms against the axle. Keep going and it levers the drum out and off.

First loosen the emergency brake cables and back the star adjuster off to retract the brake shoes. If the shoes are not retracted the drum will rip them off and the anti rattle springs.

Hey Datzenmike, the 521 didn't have them metric threaded holes. All I have done in the past d510addict is hit the drum and axle harder, I gave up on the 521 3rd members for the most part, pain in the ass, I run 720 running gear anymore with stock 521 rims and caps. I guess I should mention that I am not currently running any 521s with the stock box, there all currently either flatbed or stepside boxes. wayno

I made a rear drum puller out of 1" X 2" piece of box section tubing and some all thread. If backing off the adjusters, screwing a couple 10mm bolts and beating the hell out out the drums with a 5lb single jack doesn't get them off... PM me. I'm near SE Main St. and MLK near the east end of the Hawthorne... you can borrow it.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched my 320 to the 620 dual master, it is a safety thing. I have had two single masters fail and I won't drive a car with a single master.

Here is my brake thread (with part #'s) from days long past, Brakes still work great, but they do need adjusting often. Many of the parts I ordered for my 320 were 520 parts I think. The only thing that wasn't right was one of the axle seals.

http://community.rat...rakes-overhaul/

Oh, one word of warning. The Dorman springs were crap, two springs failed, so keep the old parts around. I ended up needing two of the old springs because two new ones broke.

Alright I'm going to try some of these things, hopefully I can get these fuckers apart as my brakes blow and are randomly catching leading my car to yank to 1 side during hard braking (although it doesn't always catch just some times).

• 2 weeks later...