75' 620 l20b swap question

cdreandrade

I messed up my tranny. won't shift into first or second. So now I am thinking of rebuilding/replacing tranny or just changing the motor and tranny out.

One option is to just go to 5-speed.

but the motor either needs a full rebuild/ replacement although it still runs its not clean.

So I am considering getting another L20b or just trying to find a little more performance that is simply achieved.

my question is: Is there a better(more reliable possibly faster) motor and tranny I can bolt up with minimal fabrication? I am willing to fabricate, just don't want to if I don't have to mess the old girl up.

DSCN3700.jpg

DSCN3701.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegas 620 threw an SR in his, just took a hammer, and minimal fabrication IIRC, splicing a couple wires...

Best bet, cheap, easy, just get another L20 or rebuild what you got and put it in. most people never finish swaps then the shit gets crushed...

Vegas 620 threw an SR in his, just took a hammer, and minimal fabrication IIRC, splicing a couple wires...

Best bet, cheap, easy, just get another L20 or rebuild what you got and put it in. most people never finish swaps then the shit gets crushed...

Your probably right.

Do you know the best place to find a gasket set?

also is there any upgrades I can do to the motor besides a weber cause I have one on there now(maybe a better head/intake/exhaust/distributor/fuel pump)?

Your probably right.

Do you know the best place to find a gasket set?

also is there any upgrades I can do to the motor besides a weber cause I have one on there now(maybe a better head/intake/exhaust/distributor/fuel pump)?

You can do internal work on it too. But if you want performance best bet is to do an SR20. A lot of 620 guys do the KA24 swap its cheap and not alot of fabing so far for me....:D

get an electronic distributor and matching coil, already got the weber set there, maybe a nicer head, either U67 open chamber has large intake/exhaust ports, or a peanut head A87 for higher compression. You can get a cam, maybe shorter gears in the rear end for better take off?

Replacing the gaskets is not a rebuild and mostly a waste of time. First ask yourself these questions.

Does it burn oil?

What is the compression? Do a compression check. This will give a good indication of wear.

Have you set the valve lash and timing? If the motor is tired it may just need a good tune up.

An SR does not just drop in. It wasn't mentioned but you will need a transmission to go with it, and because they are longer you will need to shorten your drive shaft too. An SR or a KA are fuel injected and although the KAs are fairly cheap your will have to convert over to EFI including all the wiring and sensors and a high pressure fuel pump. Mods and fabrication will include engine mounts, tranny mount and converting to a rear sump oil pan. All very good if you have the skills money and time.

The '75 truck should already have a U-67 head on it.

your project looks like its coming along well. The more I look at it though I want to keep it as stock and simple as possible. the computer scares me away truthfully.

i want to give the stock engine as much as I can. that seems to be what will make me and her happy

your project looks like its coming along well. The more I look at it though I want to keep it as stock and simple as possible. the computer scares me away truthfully.

i want to give the stock engine as much as I can. that seems to be what will make me and her happy

I feel yeah man. I was wanting to do the same but I came across this KA for cheap and thought it would be easier to get parts for it too. Its been hard for me to find any parts for my truck here where i live. I've never seen and L series engine here either, and a lot of places dont have parts.<_< Thats mainly the reason i went KA.

Replacing the gaskets is not a rebuild and mostly a waste of time. First ask yourself these questions.

Does it burn oil?

What is the compression? Do a compression check. This will give a good indication of wear.

Have you set the valve lash and timing? If the motor is tired it may just need a good tune up.

An SR does not just drop in. It wasn't mentioned but you will need a transmission to go with it, and because they are longer you will need to shorten your drive shaft too. An SR or a KA are fuel injected and although the KAs are fairly cheap your will have to convert over to EFI including all the wiring and sensors and a high pressure fuel pump. Mods and fabrication will include engine mounts, tranny mount and converting to a rear sump oil pan. All very good if you have the skills money and time.

well I guess I will start there.

I haven't seen any burnt oil. although the antifreeze running down the side of the block I'm assuming is part of a blown head gasket.(there is no oil in water or vice-versa)

I have set the timing but not the valve lash. what is the schedule for valve adjustments?

also when I took ownership of the truck both the intake and exhaust bolts were loose. I tightened but still not confident of a 100% seal.

also one more question. what is the best tranny to put behind this bad little motor?

And Mike has a very good point. I did forget to mention some of the fabs you would need to do, but i hope some of these build threads can help you decide in what you want to do.:thumbup:

yea i want to do it all. But I know that I don't have the time or resorces to to do a full swap. So I think im going to stick with the old girl the way she is and put a lil love and money most importantly into the motor she has.

Thanks for your help and maybe when I have some time I will consider one of these swaps.

well I guess I will start there.

I haven't seen any burnt oil. although the antifreeze running down the side of the block I'm assuming is part of a blown head gasket.(there is no oil in water or vice-versa)

I have set the timing but not the valve lash. what is the schedule for valve adjustments?

also when I took ownership of the truck both the intake and exhaust bolts were loose. I tightened but still not confident of a 100% seal.

also one more question. what is the best tranny to put behind this bad little motor?

That antifreeze running down the block will most likely be a freeze plug that is no good anymore and is rusted.<_<

Which side of the block is wet? Driver's side?

Warm engine up. remove valve cover. (have a new cover gasket handy)

Set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke. Use the notch on the crank pulley and the timing scale just behind it on the pass side. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16539-l-series-valve-adjustment/ thanks to Mklotz70 for this.

I assume you have the 4 speed now. The later 5 speed has the same ratios as the 4 speed but with an added over drive 5th gear to reduce highway RPM and save a bit of gas. There is no performance increase putting a 5 speed in, it will drive exactly the same as the 4 speed.

Which side of the block is wet? Driver's side?

Warm engine up. remove valve cover. (have a new cover gasket handy)

Set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke. Use the notch on the crank pulley and the timing scale just behind it on the pass side. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16539-l-series-valve-adjustment/ thanks to Mklotz70 for this.

I assume you have the 4 speed now. The later 5 speed has the same ratios as the 4 speed but with an added over drive 5th gear to reduce highway RPM and save a bit of gas. There is no performance increase putting a 5 speed in, it will drive exactly the same as the 4 speed.

passengers side is wet. also oil from valve cover gasket.