New here, just picked up a 79 620

620doof

Hey guys, just wanted to step into the scene of 620 pickups! I've always been a Datsun/Nissan guy and recently my maxima got stolen, no coverage :(. So I picked up a 79 620 for 450 bucks! No rust really except on the bed and it runs reasonably well.

I just wanted to know what I can do to get a little more power out of this sucker? It's got a 3 speed auto so i'm at a disadvantage there but I've read some really awesome threads here about swapping in a 5 speed. I was looking at a webber conversion: http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk663-34.htm Is this a good bang for the buck? I may have a little more to spend but at the moment this thing really struggles going up hill.

Could I have some other problem? It runs really smooth and idles well even when cold(I did have to tune it up/adjust the choke and what not) but it just seems like such a slug on the road, where as other people have mentioned their trucks have lots of power.

Anyways, i'll stop rambling but thanks in advance for all the great info here!

Nick

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome my 620 brutha. Take your time & read thru the forum & you will be filled with endless amounts of Datsun knowledge. As for your sluggish truck, do a compression check. Check your timing. And yes a weber 32/36 is a good upgrade. Not much of a power upgrade but usually the stock carbs are worn out & the Weber conversion is a simple bolt on thats reliable. But do the comp. check & timing first.

Oh yah, You have 24 hours to post pics of your truck! :D

Hey thanks for the tips and welcomes everyone! I'm just gearing up to do the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets. I believe I have an exhaust leak at the manifold so I was told that I most likely have a vacuum leak also. Hopefully that will give me some power back. Also going to do a valve adjustment while i'm in there.

Any tips for getting this manifold off? I have been spraying the bolts with pb blaster then knocking them with a screwdriver/hammer. Hoping nothing breaks off (pls pls).

I'll get some pics up when i'm done with this though! It's not much to look at, had to put the front clip together recently but it looks a lot cleaner now hah.

Can't wait to see it :hyper:

The intake/exhaust manifold can be a bitch to get off. You're starting right,give 'em a good soak. Some heat may not hurt. Be careful though.

The bolts toward the back are the worst. You've got a newer truck,too. They're even worse,or so I've read on here.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum! This place has all the knowledge you'd need, and if it doesn't you can always ask! :lol:

And as for making more power for your truck, the easiest thing you could do right now, is get a Weber, I slapped one on mine and it was a world of difference! And I'm sorry to say, that with the automatic, you're never going to be able to pull a hill very easily. A good idea for later down the road would be a 5 speed swap, but that requires quite a few parts and time, but it will be worth it after it's all done!

Thanks again guys! I found a culprit today.. Seized calipers. I had a feeling my wheels were a little too hot after driving. This should give me a bit more power to the wheels once I get new calipers on there. That caliper set up is SO frustrating though! Ugh, struggled with these for awhile today before I realized I need new ones heh. Pics tomorrow! I promise! haha.