Carb Help

JeffreyDale

Hey Ya'll

Im still around. after attempting to sell the old datsun, ive decided to keep it till someone comes with a decent offer. i raced her at the mud bogs a few weeks ago, and after gettin 2nd in a class (with my big truck, not the datsun! haha) i was impressed with the performance or rather ability of the datsun, so she came home and got a good refreshing.

Still have LOTS of problems. took the carb off for a complete clean out, cause after sitting for a week (runnin PERFECT at AND after the bogs) she woulndt stay runnin. got the carb back on capped all the vaccum lines, ran one from the intake to the dist. started it, and the carb would just run away (over rev) finally pulled it again, and got the carb valve on the motor side shut, and all was good. she was runnin awesome, then she started getting worse, not runnin - like it was before, would idle at times, but wouldnt rev up without dying. now, she wont start AT ALL!

i really dont wanna go buy the weber carb for conversion, just want this gal to work. id like to make it my daily driver to work, but its a 40 min ride at high speeds, and my clutch is shot too, so i dunno. but if i can get it to run, and to stay runnin, and be reliable, shell get a new clutch, and theryll bee one more DATSUN on the road!

help me please, either ideas, efforts, parts, pics of what it should look like, hell, id even put all the vaccum lines on, if i can find the parts and a diagram.

(Sorry, long, i know)

THANKS

JeffreyDale

Picture057.jpg

Picture054-1.jpg

Picture048-1.jpg

Picture053.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First vacuum advance is run from the carb not the intake. The carb vacuum port on the carb for this is on the pass side and of the three on that side it's the one closest to the front.

Mud bogging could have thrown muddy water onto the distributor and wiring.Check for wetness under the cap.

Check the first fuse on the far left of the fuse box. If blown the exhaust coil won't be working and you are running only on the intake side. (it will run but the timing will act retarded)

Check the fuel level in the sight glass in the front of the carb. If over full dirt may have got into the needle valve and it's stuck partly open and it's flooding.

Unscrew the front cover of the carb with the round sight glass in it. Use rags to catch the gas and drain it out. There may be a small puddle of water from the tank covering the jets and it's running lean. See also if there is any debris in there. Maybe a new inline filter?

Thanks DatzenMike! I Havent checked those. gonna hit that up tomorrow and see how she does. i was playin with the dizzy cap and got it runnin, but soon as i shut her down and she got cold, back at square one. i got a brand new inline filter for it (there isnt one on it at all, P.O. redid feul lines) hopefully i can get her back and good.!

Thanks DatzenMike! I Havent checked those. gonna hit that up tomorrow and see how she does. i was playin with the dizzy cap and got it runnin, but soon as i shut her down and she got cold, back at square one. i got a brand new inline filter for it (there isnt one on it at all, P.O. redid feul lines) hopefully i can get her back and good.!

Spring for a Weber..... big difference.

Then you can eliminate all the other variables.....vacuum lines...EGR...etc.