Truck buying advice needed

slodat

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to look them up, they are in my 620 manual. If they are the same engine, maybe they were used in 620s outside N America? Anyway J13 and it's big brother the J15, same stroke. Over head valve, cast iron block and head, and three, yes, 3 main bearings. One at each end and one in the middle. The J13 had a small bolt to clamp the piston pin to the top of the rod.

I looked at the trucks. I actually looked at 4 Datsun trucks today. They were all shit but one. The 520 was a decent truck, but not for the $900 the owner insisted he "just knows" he can get for it.

I have a deal agreed upon for a truck, but the guy is being flaky. We shall see. I may be rolling to GG in a different truck.

My best friend really wants to buy my 620 for what I have in it, so I figure why not get a truck I'm a little more excited about. I'm not in a hurry, just a little excited..

I get that way to, its fun looking at datsuns for sale to. I like talking people down, them getting mad, then they call back a week or a month later because they are to lazy to advertise it anywhere else and I get it cheap. It brings a smile to my face :)

I tend to look at the windshield first.....yes you can get them new, but they're about $400 delivered. Used ones are pretty hard to find.

The 520's(single and dual headlight) are almost harder to find part for.....frontend parts that is.....than even the 320's.

You've got the welder, so rust is a pain, but not a deal breaker. The mechanicals of all the trucks are pretty much the same as what you have......it basically comes down to having the look you want and being a price you like. I personally don't care for the 520's(either version), but I've had a couple of them. You'll certainly be the only one of them to show up at Canby....or pretty much any other event.

I agree with all of the above. Also, check the front suspension on any of the kingpin front ends. Moderately worn bushings are bad enough, but when you have wear and tear on the links and spindles you have some major repairs to do. Not too many care to do a kingpin replacement anyway.

Also, be sre the parking brake cables are there. It happens.

The J-13 was originally built for leaded gasoline. If the valve seats are original, you will eventualy have problems. There is not a lot of room under the hood of a 520 for a swap.