Introducing Myself

jeremy_crager

Hello gentlemen,

My name is Jeremy, I recently acquired a 1974 620. I will be the second owner of this truck, with only 90-something thousand miles. The truck has led a very babied life and is in excellent physical shape, to be it's age. I decided to do a little work on the truck, freshin' it up a bit. I'm in the process of stripping it down and rebuilding. There are alot of helping information and people on this forum, so I decided I would make myself known. Let me know what you guys think. Any comments or questions are welcome.

000_0012.jpg

000_0015.jpg

000_0014.jpg

000_0043.jpg

IMG00222.jpg

IMG00221.jpg

IMG00223.jpg

IMG00218.jpg

IMG00219.jpg

IMG00220.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a nice n strait datsun if i wer you i would of oiled the chasis insted thats what wat i did to my 1965 320 n now it wont get rusted again it actually protects

I stripped the frame of the rust and put a heavy coat of Master Series Permanent Rust Sealer. http://www.masterseriesct.com/home.html This stuff is awesome, best rust preventing product on the market, in my opinion. I use to sell it and it made POR 15 look like shit. Then i put two coats of rubberized undercoat on it. I done the same thing on my bagged Toyota, and it held up really well. Even with me dragging the truck to death, it prevented the frame from rusting.

Wow nice 620! If it was in that good of shape,I would've left it alone for now. Well,maybe. ;)

What are you plans? Please don't chop it up.

Right now I'm trying to clean everything up. But I plan on putting disk brakes all around, new wheels, and I lowered it three inches. Gonna freshen up the drivetrain and drive it a while, then I plan on putting a small V8 and automatic transmission in it. Thought about bagging it, but the truck is too nice and holds some sentimental value, so I'm not gonna cut it up.

these two things dont really go hand in hand :lol:

Welcome to Ratsun :cool: trucks super strait

With what I'm planning it will require a little fabrication. But minimal,if any, cutting. LS based engines are smaller than old school small blocks(ei. 305, 350). A 350 will fit and the only real clearence issue is the distributor and headers. LS based engines (ei. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0) have no distributor and I plan to use the stock exhaust manifolds. Should be no clearence issues, I measured alot. Transmission wise, all of the eletronic transmissions that were originally mated to these motors or too big and long. The stock torsion bar setup wouldn't allow for them to fit. BUT, with either a small adaptor that centers the flexplate on the crankshaft or a custom fit flexplate, a THM350 transimission bolt right up. Fits perfect, like it was made for the truck, even uses the same transmission mount holes as the stock transmission(only have to drill them out a little to accommodate for larger bolts). Of course I'm sure I'll run into some little trouble making the swap but nothing that should require hacking the truck up to achieve.

Thanks for all the support guys. I definately plan on starting a build thread but, it's probably going to be a drawn out process (more than I would like). Because, as most of you probably know, money is short and times are hard. I also work offshore, so I'm gone most the time. So if any of you guys every message me and I don't answer back, I'm probably at work.

And I appreciate all the comments guys.

000_0054.jpg

000_0053.jpg

000_0052.jpg

000_0051.jpg

000_0050.jpg

000_0049.jpg

Figured I'd show you guys a little progress (very little) stripped the interior and cleaned everything. Also stripped the engine compartment and inner fenders, coated the problem areas with some rust preventative. Then applied two coats of rubberized undercoat. Gonna strip the floor pans and coat them also.

Also wanted to ask all of your opinions on doing away with the bolts that hold the valance on. I broke two of them off taking the fenders off. But, that isn't that big of a deal. Upon taking them out, they busted the paint all up. So I thought about cutting the welded nut off the back and riveting them on. I know that I could shave them all, but I want them where I can still remove them. In my mind rivets seem like an okay option, definately more slick than a bolt head sticking out. Just let me know what you guys think.

Also wanted to ask all of your opinions on doing away with the bolts that hold the valance on. I broke two of them off taking the fenders off. But, that isn't that big of a deal. Upon taking them out, they busted the paint all up. So I thought about cutting the welded nut off the back and riveting them on. I know that I could shave them all, but I want them where I can still remove them. In my mind rivets seem like an okay option, definately more slick than a bolt head sticking out. Just let me know what you guys think.

You could use small carriage bolts? Rivets would work, but drilling them out, and putting new ones in would be a hassle.

On the valence bolts get a 10mmx1.25 tap and use stainless steel screws. Stronger than rivets and it will still look flush... either that or cover them up with an old school air dam if you like that look.

Nice truck and keep up with the pics.