fix your loose 521 turn signal switch

dat521gatherer

I find that most 521's have a really loose blinker switch. Maybe this happens to other models too, i dont know. Here's how I fix it.

Take off the column and locate the roll pin that holds the shaft part of the switch

SANY1313.jpg

Tap the roll pin out use some wd-40 on it. Pull it out to reinsert through the top on reassembly.

SANY1315.jpg

SANY1316.jpg

Carefull not to loose the ball bearing and spring it will be gunked on there with 40 year old grease.

SANY1320.jpg

Clean it up.

100_4200.jpg

Also clean up the copper plate thats for the bright light switch. The ball bearing and spring are for the bright lights too.

SANY1326.jpg

SANY1325.jpg

This gap with the red arrow is the problem. I'd say around 90 percent of the looseness. It needs to be filled in with something. I use loctite.

gap3.jpg

100_4202.jpg

on my 72

100_4205.jpg

on my 71

SANY1332.jpg

Now if you dont have a vintage hires root beer bottle from the 50's this ain't gonna work. :geek:

SANY1328.jpg

The only problem with the loctite is it takes around 2 weeks to harden. I suppose you can use epoxy or jb weld but you'll have to work it into the gap. The loctite is so runny it flows right in the gap that]s why I use it.

On reassembly put a dab of new grease to hold the ball bearing in place. hold the blinker arm into place and tap the roll pin back in from the top.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good write up and oics, but you sure that thread locker will set hard enough? It's not really made for filling holes. Do let us know how it works out.

I did my other 521 a couple years ago and its still rock steady. It reminds me of polyurethane which I suppose would work well too. I spilled a little polyurethane in the bed of one of my trucks and Its there for life. Harder than a rock. I'm surprised people dont use it to seal rust like por15.

Thanks for this info

Will do mine next

I did my other 521 a couple years ago and its still rock steady. It reminds me of polyurethane which I suppose would work well too. I spilled a little polyurethane in the bed of one of my trucks and Its there for life. Harder than a rock. I'm surprised people dont use it to seal rust like por15.

• 1 month later...