Im A Noobie with a 72' 620 in the shop; need to know where to find parts for L16

ddrum

I'm 17 years old and just bought a 1972 620. My two brothers picked it up from Fort Worth TX and they told me it was running good and strong. After a few problems on the way back, the engine overheated and they blew the head gasket :/ Now i took it to the shop and it needs new piston rings and my mechanic is going to resurface the head. After all this I've been looking like crazy for parts but they seem to be very rare and i need to know where to find some. i need to know if there are any other datsun cars that have the same compatible radiator and fan. (since mine is in really bad shape) PS: I'm loving my datsun more and more each day.

Thanks, Erick

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Forum Erick. I have a few 620's myself & love them. There are plenty of places online to find Datsun parts. Do a search. You cant find a new OEM radiator but you can get an aftermarket 1. Rabbitt or Fiero are popular swaps. Or you can get your stock 1 recored. As for your motor, You could get the original rebuilt or look for a used 1. L16, L18 & L20 will all bolt rite up.

Before you do anything tho u need to SEARCH & READ this forum. A lot of killer info on here rite @ your fingertips. Also you have exactly 24 hours to uplode some pics of your new truck! :D

Nice looking truck. The 620 radiator is kind of small. A bolt in would be 521 or 620. Maybe a 510.

I have seen VW radiators swapped in. Best bet is to head to the local junkyard with a tape measure and make sure you get one that fit's with the inlet and outlets on the same side.

The rads in the trucks up until '75 should work. After '75 the L20B rads were bigger and the rad support was changed. Also early trucks had the rad inlet on the pass side and this switched over to the driver's side later. Rads in the '70-'72 521 truck may fit.

There are other Datsuns with the same motor but you may have to make them fit a truck. They are the '68-'73 510, 617,710, '77-'79 200sx (S10) and '79-'81 HL510 (A10). Again some of these will have the L20B motor and the rad may be larger.

Anything can be made to fit. good luck.