James' 510 - Turbo Injected L18 Green Meanie

you still have template for the front spoiler? its a dead giveaway your from canada cause you could plow snow with that thing! thumbs up to it man

Ha Haaa, no doubt, eh!

snow510.jpg

The intake manifold is built from scratch by my good buddy Rob F, aka Bobby Freedom or 510Rob. Correct Slinginabullet, the coils are off some Ford product.

The engine:

Built for turbo - L18, dish pistons, o-ringed block, internally painted, trap doors in pan, crank scraper, ported U67 head, 280zx valves(?), 445/449 turbo grind cam

The Old Setup:

Blow through carb system from the 70s by Dick Garret (no relation to Garret Turbochargers) at Dynamic Turbo in Vancouver BC, the original exhaust manifold had been cracked and rewelded many times so Andy at Specialty Engineering made one for me (started out at $650 ended at $950!) around ten years ago (I now make and sell my own)

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27677-510-turbo-exhaust-manifold-on-ebay/

everything else from that old kit i used: carb pressure box (Weber 32/36 modified of course), Schwitzer turbo, crazy wastegate that used two external springs and a Chevy big block valve, modified Holley fuel pressure reg, 280zx fuel pump, unknown intercooler, MSD 6AL, MSD spark retard, lightened steel flywheel, Roadster clutch and pressure plate, 2 1/2" exhaust with some long chrome muffler tip thing

oldE1.jpg

oldE2-1.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the thread!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is that car makes my L series turbo feel SLOW AS HELL!!! If you never saw under the hood before going for a ride you would never believe it's an L series. Such nice power and smoothness about it.

The WICKED curret set up:

Rob F. intake manifold, Eagle Talon injectors, Carter low pressure pump feeds the Rob F. surge tank, Walbro high pressure pump, Aeromotive feul reg., Rob F. fuel rail, same Specialty exhaust manifold by modified by me, Deltagate Mark 2 wastegate, Rob F. crank trigger and bottom pulley, Byron's distributor block off with inner bearing(cool), Megasqurit fuel management, wiring by Rob F., dual Earls oil coolers, Ford Turbo Coupe intercooler modified by Rob F., Ford coils, 50 trim T04B turbo, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Roaster pressure plate, four puck ceramic clutch disk - no springs (too harsh for street use!!), junkyard 280zx trans, 3" mandrel exhaust by me with a stainless muffler. - I think thats it........

James

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

engine5.jpg

engine6big.jpg

engine7.jpg

engine8.jpg

engine9.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Some reeeel old pics when I first started to work on it.

Those strut bars tie into the cage. Painted by the master, Rob P.

paint2-1.jpg

paint1-1.jpg

paint3-1.jpg

paint4-1.jpg

That Pic of Rob is going some years back.

My first oil cooler should be up on Fail Blog - I covered half of the rad with it!

Here is the current system hiding in the valance behind the front bumper. Its a two polished Earls tranny/oil coolers with Aeroquip lines $$$. The bracket to mount 'em is cut up flat bar.

James

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

oil4.jpg

oil5.jpg

oil6.jpg

oil7.jpg

This here is the fiberglass intake tube my shipright buddy Tom help me build. The 'glass is layed up onto waxed PVC elbows and straight pipes. After it kicks, they just slip off. Once the pieces are trimmed and fitted, they are then hot glued together. Check the fitment and wrap a stip of 'glass around the joint. Repeat process numerous times. Dyno proven at a 4 HP gain!

I do plan on putting it on the EFI setup but right now the plenum and throttle body interfere. Cuttin' and 'glassin' soon to come.

James

tube1.jpg

tube2.jpg

tube3.jpg

tube4.jpg

tube5.jpg

I wanted to change up the look of the car so bigger rims/tires and flares were on the menu. I was happy with the gearing of the car and didn't want to change the tire diameter. It stayed the same at 23"(?)

OLD: 14 X 6 - 185/60/14 Yokohama A520

NEW: 15 X 7 - 215/45/15 Toyo Proxes

tires.jpg

The Toyota Corolla SR5 flares that I got off Ebay fit nice! I used to have one of those cars so I was familiar with the size. I wanted a bolt on flare but the ZG flare have a way too big of an arch for the 510 so it would require lots of work to fit (or huge rims). The Corolla has a lower body line that comes out a bit on the flare, hardly noticeable. I can't remember but I think left and right were switched around and back to front (?). Nut-serts secure the flares to the body and they work great. The quarter panel was cut high but I wanted the flare not to exceed the body line. Even with the inner folded up and welded to the outer, its still not enough :angry: ! It rubs on the fold and I still want to take out more camber. I'll have to go back in and fuck around or just cut it all out and start over ........

flare1.jpg

flare2.jpg

flare3.jpg

flare4.jpg

flare5.jpg

flare6.jpg

flare7.jpg

flare8.jpg

flare9.jpg

flare11.jpg

flare13.jpg

flare14.jpg

Current hight:

bakergreen.jpg

First time I've seen you're thread James. F'n awesome. Huge props for the cut, attack, and home fab style of your build. It reminds me of the good old days as a youngster wrenching on thrashed 510's in the suburbs of Philly. Cool as hell is the: snowplow air dam (all small road going animals beware), fiberglass cold air intake, custom oil coolers, custom seat, bolt on flares, intake setup, pretty much all of it. Best of all, it rips, as evidenced in the vids. Keep the updates coming.

Turbo exhaust manifold modified for new Deltagate wastegate and 3" dump pipe. On the old system I had a separate little exhaust pipe and a Briggs & Stratton muffler for the wastegate. It did work and was a lot quieter than having the pipe open. This time its properly tied into the collector with a slip fit pipe. Once everything was welded up, it was time for ceramic coating by Kool Coat (http://www.koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/).

mani1.jpg

mani2.jpg

mani3.jpg

mani4.jpg

mani5.jpg

mani6.jpg

The no eyed Bobby Freedom

bobby.jpg

mani8.jpg

mani10.jpg

mani9.jpg

Big brake update: JSK Hub and caliper adaptor (too bad this guy is not around anymore - nice kit), 12" rotors, Wilwood 4 piston Superlights and Polymatrix pads. These brakes will fit most 15" rims. I first had trouble installing this package cuz I was putting the rotor on the wrong side of the adaptor. It goes INBOARD. No instructions which sucked but got figured out eventually. The kit is very tight toward the inside so much that the rotors rub on the LCA. Its hammer time! Once everything was bled out, went out for a rip and they work super niiiiice. Way better than the 280ZX brakes that were on there for years. Overkill for a 510 for sure but the track we have up here heats up brakes like crazy and I don't want ANY fade. 300ZX rears are next on the list.

James

brake1.jpg

brake2.jpg

brake3.jpg

brake4.jpg

brake5.jpg

brake6.jpg

brake7.jpg

Touchy Touchy

brake8.jpg

brake9.jpg

Caliper bolt hits the factory Z mount, oops

brake10.jpg

brake11.jpg

brake12.jpg

brake13.jpg

brake14.jpg

WAS

brake15.jpg

NOW

brake16.jpg

New paint for the Rewinds: I was bored with the colour / style so they got bombed. This was more of an experiment than anything. Seeing those heavy flake paint jobs got me thinkin', why not just use some sparkles from a crafts shop? I masked up the rims, primer, gloss black, sprinkled sparkles and then three coats of clear. No sanding so its a little bumpy to the touch. With the Polymatrix pads up front it just coats the rims with brake dust within 10 minutes of driving. Ahh fuck it...

James

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg

tire4.jpg

tire5.jpg

tire6.jpg

tire7.jpg

tire8.jpg