1966 datsun 520 kingcab project, act 2

wayno

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and are you still going to try to wedge a VG30 in there?

...DETT?

20090916_fingers_crossed-1.jpg

I don't know what I am going to do yet other than consolidate vehicles, I need to KC the ones I plan on doing far enough to put them on frames so it will free up a space for another vehicle, do you understand? Two vehicles combined into one and haul the rest off to scrap.

You work so fast.

I don't know what I am going to do yet other than consolidate vehicles, I need to KC the ones I plan on doing far enough to put them on frames so it will free up a space for another vehicle, do you understand? Two vehicles combined into one and haul the rest off to scrap.

Hmmm... I'm always up for some 520 scraps.

Hi there burrito213, I made the cab exactly the same as the last one in length cause it was easy, as I knew all the measurements. Since I did it this way, it will all drop on a datsun/nissan 720 KC frame with the chevy luv stepside box(I have another one), so basicly it could look somewhat like "Gerardos" green 1966 datsun 520 except mine is a kingcab. My biggest problem is the only 720 frame I have is a 1980 datsun 4X4 KC frame,:rolleyes: and they are really hard to lower because of the transfer case,:( keep in mind that i do want the low range because I have had to have customers drag me out of there driveway because the driveway was soooo steep I didn't have the power/torque to get the truck and trailer out. I plan on using this truck as a backup work truck. The other choice is to lengthen the 520 frame, and it has issues also, i will have to rebuild the cross beam in the Oic. below, as that part of the frame has been bent, i have not checked the whole frame yet. I would really like to have a 520 KC dually like my 720(oic. below) but instead of a diesel maybe a VG30, but right now I need to consolidate rigs to make room for another,:blink: as i have another NL320 coming next wendsday. So for now it's going on the 4X4 frame, i beleave.:unsure:

100_0074.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

• Like 1

This is the future frame for the 520 KC at this time, I expect by monday the cab will be on it's new home. I am pulling and cutting as fast as I can, tomarrow I will pull the wiring harness and finish cutting apart the box and cab apart. I couldn't beleave it started and ran after setting there 6 months.

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0122.jpg

• Like 1

I made some more progress today, the 1980 cab is no more. I did run into a hickup though, the front mount holes(under the radiator) are not in the same location as the 521, it didn't even register in my mind about this issue since they are so close to being the same truck. I am hoping that the front of the frame doesn't stick out. It is going to be a tight fit for the L20b in there, but I think it is possible, i'll know more tomarrow. Here are some oics. of the frame without a cab, as well as the frame under the 520 cab. Also I would like to know if I can use the flywheel, disc, and clutch cover with the 1984 short shaft transmission? Do i use the arm and throwout bearing from the 4 speed or would I use the arm, ect. from the 5 speed? Datzenmike, are you there? :lol: I already have a shortshaft built, all I know is it is a 4 speed, and the head on the engine(L20b) is a U67 square port exhaust head that doesn't belong on this year of truck. wayno

DSCN0148.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0146.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

I put together another shortshaft 5 speed for this project, so the shifter would come threw the stock 520 access/shifter hole, I found out today that the 4 speed casing on the 1980 datsun 720 KC 4X4 will also work for the conversions, at least the 4 spd. that was in this truck.:D I put a new cluch cover, disc, and throwout bearing in while it was apart. I also had a longer short driveline laying around for between the tranny and transfer case.:rolleyes: It's obvious by now the the cab isn't at its new home yet, otherwise I would have Oics. of it,:( i just didn't have time today. wayno

Didn't get much done today, removed the 520 wiring harness(home made) out of the engine compartment with all the unnessasary 520 electrical stuff such as, fusebox(aftermarket), voltage regulator, ect. I am going to use the 1980 720 harness, since I will be using the 720 streering column, all the lights(high and low beams), wiper, turnsignals, four ways, and the key assembly will be on it, so it will be plug it in and play except for the dash assembly, the dash will take a whole day to wire as it is not compatable with the modern wiring harness. wayno

Wayno with your skills running the 720 heater would be easy. Also the 720 heater is better sized (BTU output) for a kingcab. This is going to be another one of the Wayno Conversions that will be fun to drive and turn lots of heads.

Hey Charlie, I will more than likely be running the stock heater in the stock position, but the hoses are going to have to be moved to the side before they come threw the firewall, this seems unlikely I know, but if you cut the heater core outlets back 2 to 3 inches and connect a heater hose with an elbow/90 degree turn and run them sideways in the cab a foot or whatever is desired/needed then make new holes threw the firewall with another elbow route the hoses out. This way I am able to keep the stock air system above the heater box with all the funtioning levers. I put the cab temporarly in position and i'll tell you, it is tight, I had to remove the heater core box cause the engine was hitting the outlets, I also had to cut the brake switch mount off the firewall cause it was in the way. I am going to have an issue with the height of the cab on the frame, i want it lower, but it isn't going to happen unless I raise the floor 3 or 4 inches which is not an option at this time. This is going to be tight, but I know i can do it, i do have room for the radiator, since it is going to have to be lowered, what I beleave I am going to do if i have to, is cut the raised stock radiator mounting surface and weld a flat bar in position on both sides, that will give me another 1/2 inch of room, plus it will allow me to mount the radiator lower, more centered on the fan. I will know more tomarrow when I make the cab mounts. I will have about a 1/4 inch of clearance between the engine and firewall and the front mounts(below the radiator) are going to line up perfect. wayno

Here is what I did with my radiator support. Used 14 Gage sheet metal.

DSC01102.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01099.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

The late model heater does take some work to make fit. But it puts the hoses to the passenger side of the engine.

The lift problem is why I did the tunnel and the motor being against the firewall prevented me from being able to remove my valve cover, this is why I did the firewall.

When you talk of cutting the heater tubes have you thought about soldering brass piping bent to the shape you neeg and having it pass through the firewall so you keep all the rubber hose in the engine bay?

You can't put any kind of bend in the core tubes because then you can't put them in or take them out of the heater box, but the heater box sits away from the firewall on legs, them legs give me the room to do what I discribed. The 720 heater box hoses are on the inside of the cab also, several inches of them. I didn't plan on removing as much radiator mount metal as you did, if at all. I will not change any of the radiator area if possible, but the radiator is going to have to be lower so the fan will not interfear with the coolant/radiator hoses and the radiator outlets. Fact is, I will go to extremes to not change the firewall or front radiator core if possible. The diesel engine I put into the 521 KC sat about an inch from the firewall, but was not tilted like the L20b is, and that fact made it possible to just cut about an inch and a half off the heater core outlets, that made it possible to have the hoses come out the stock hose holes, but they had to make a 90 degree turn right at the firewall towards the pass. side behind the engine. So far I do not beleave that the VG30 will go into a 520 without major modifacations to the firewall, but my engine is still at Mikes(thankyou, ect. ect. ect.) at the moment, so I have not measured it lately. As for how high the cab sits on the frame, I have it almost sitting on the frame now, when I am done tomarrow it will be as low as it can be without raising the floor inside the cab, which in time I might try to do, but do not have the time right now. wayno