1966 datsun 520 kingcab project, act 2

wayno

i was at canby this year and last year with it.

i should drug ya over, and had ya look at it... :lol:

when i look at yours, the leaf isnt nearly as arched as mine.

also the 720 frame you used, it orients the shocks differently than the 620.

i hate to say it, but a simple 3 link with a panhard bar or watts link is the way im goin.. using the suspension links from a trooper or a 4runner.

• Like 1
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that your correct about the 3/4 link, but I know nothing about that type of suspension, and all this is just me learning what I can do with what I have, I have never thought about lowering a truck before, it seemed like a conflict to me, especially lowered dually trucks, but this whole truck is just for looks anyway, so I just keep thinking about how to work with what I have without getting in trouble with the law, and I drive fast on the freeways, so I need it to not hit on anything if I get a flat.

As far as I can see, your leafs are not arched at all, it looks like you have removed a few of them.

I have not ever really looked at a 620 frame before, closely anyway, seems like it would depend on what year it was, kingpin trucks look like the 521 chassis, and ball joint trucks look like the early 720 truck, to me anyway.

I am likely going to drive this around a little before making any more mods, now that it won't likely hit the rear frame(bottom out), I won't cringe every time I see a bump coming.  :lol:

i was at canby this year and last year with it.

i should drug ya over, and had ya look at it... :lol:

when i look at yours, the leaf isnt nearly as arched as mine.

also the 720 frame you used, it orients the shocks differently than the 620.

i hate to say it, but a simple 3 link with a panhard bar or watts link is the way im goin.. using the suspension links from a trooper or a 4runner.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK guys, I have an issue with my 1980 720 wiring harness, under the hood, there are 3 wires in the harness, the yellow/black wire goes to the water temp sender, then there is a solid blue one that I believe goes to the electric choke mechanism, which has a full 12 volts, and then there is a brown one that seems to have about 3 volts, when I connect the blue wire to the choke, something behind the dash starts buzzing, when I shut the engine off, it goes away, when I turn the ign. on there is no buzzing, but the second i start the engine, the buzzing starts again, anyone have any ideas?
The truck starts fine with or without the wire connected to the choke, and once warm it goes to normal idle speed.

Where is the brown wire supposed to go?

The truck has a matchbox dist. stock, and the ground is connected to the dist.

• Like 1

Wayno on a 1980 Wiring diagram the brown goes to the fuel cut solenoid, Vacuum cut switch, and the clutch switch.  The buzzing could be a bad relay.

Here is a link to NICO's wiring diagrams.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/datsun-pickup-wiring-diagrams-for-320-520-521-620-720.html

I hope this helps.

Wayno on a 1980 Wiring diagram the brown goes to the fuel cut solenoid, Vacuum cut switch, and the clutch switch.  The buzzing could be a bad relay.

Here is a link to NICO's wiring diagrams.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/datsun-pickup-wiring-diagrams-for-320-520-521-620-720.html

I hope this helps.

I will have to go out there during the day and look at that blue wire real close, it looks solid blue to me, but the wiring diagram shows no blue wire in that area, only a blue with red line, so I may have to unwrap some of the harness to find some clean wire.

It is likely that the blue wire does go to a relay that I have obviously ruined, I suppose I could try to trace the noise and find out which relay it is buzzing, then I likely will figure out what that blue wire is supposed to be connected to.

I believe that it is supposed to go to the auto choke on the carb, but I had it connected to the water temp. senser instead, so that is likely why the relay has gone crazy/bad, as it was connected to a ground, it should have just blown a fuse.

The blue/red wire goes to the auto choke relay, that is likely what has been smoked, but the choke on the weber works great without the wire connected to the choke, so figuring it out is not an emergency.

The wiring diagram helped Charlie, Thankyou very much.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I have the exact same symptoms with that stupid buzzing relay, it is #25230C9905, that one with 5 prongs that goes right next to the fuse pannel under the driver's side dash.

It doesn't ALWAYS scream at me, but I would still like to replace it.

Also would it be causing my battery charging/electrical systems light next to the guages to stay on?

What electrical failures can this part be responsible for?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the future frame for the 520 KC at this time, I expect by monday the cab will be on it's new home. I am pulling and cutting as fast as I can, tomarrow I will pull the wiring harness and finish cutting apart the box and cab apart. I couldn't beleave it started and ran after setting there 6 months.

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0122.jpg

Do you still have the dash outta this donor truck? Long bed?

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Well it appears that Photolame(Formally known as Photobucket to me) has struck again, there might as well not even be any photos in this thread now, my photos are being held hostage again unless I pay.

Well this is what I did to this truck over the last week, I bought a bed cover(snugtop) for a full size truck for $40.00, had to drive all the way to Sherwood OR to get it, traffic was awful, I guess it was worth the drive but while making that drive I decided to never again drive over to Portland after 3pm for any reason, they need minimum speed limits over there on the freeways, and then they need to start passing out tickets, I bet the situation improves fast as the first month they will make millions.

Anyway I started with this.

001.jpg

Then I cut the sides off after measuring several times, one cannot un-cut it if a mistake is made.

004.jpg

Then I test fit it and realized my box isn't really square, so I cut the front hinge area off at the slight angle the front of the box is compared to the bed, then I flipped it over and notched the front so it was the same level as the sides, not a great photo but you can see how I notched it.

001.jpg

I also had to cut around 5 inches of the bottom layer off so the whole thing would rest on the box rails all the way around.

003.jpg

Then I cut the rear section hanging over the back off, rounded all the corners and beveled the edges.

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

I then stood on it and took these photos, it is very stiff and easily takes my weight.

011.jpg

012.jpg

I need to think of a better way to hold this down on my truck, I took the easy way right now, I suppose it could move sideways a little, but front to rear it only can move a quarter inch, I really don't want to drill holes in the cover, so this is how I am holding it down right now.

014.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks 

It's not done yet, it really needs a way to pull the edges down all the way around, but I have not thought of a way so far that don't require drilling holes in the cover.

If I was going to drill holes in it then I would just mount it to the box rails and the front rail with fancy screws and screw it down tight, but I want no holes in the cover or my rails either, I went thru a lot of effort to make that box match the cab, I don't need any holes in the top of the rails letting water in them boxed sections that have no drain holes.

If I remove the cover and flip it over I could put more tangs around the edges using fiberglass, but that is a lot of work and messy, it really needs a tang in the front middle area, I can see light up there as the cover is bowed(made that way).

I will think about it some more.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

Well I guess I should have warned other folks of doing what I did here on that bed cover, I searched around for something to cover my face and got frustrated as i could find nothing that would stay on my face, I should have at least put a handkerchief over my face but I didn't think of that, so learn from my stupidity.

I cut that fiberglass cover to fit my truck bed with my 18V Dewalt skill saw, I did it without any type of mask, I have cut fiberglass in the past but not to the extent I did to make this cover(cutting/grinding), well I started coughing a few days later, I blamed it on this throat issue I have had for over 3.5 years that has been getting worse over time, anyway I went to the doctor(urgent care) and complained about the coughing and my throat, they gave me some nasal drip meds and sent my home, I did not get better, I started coughing really bad, a week later I went back to the doctor(urgent care) and told them I needed help I was not getting better, I soaked my shirt right in front of them in about a minute(I did not have a fever), they put that oxygen saturation thing on my finger and when they got the reading(89%) they said my lungs were not working right and they called an ambulance and sent me to an emergency room, I gave myself pneumonia(chemical pneumonia), at the hospital they gave me two meds and sent me home(antibiotics and something for acid re-flux  which didn't work), I  continued coughing for several days until I finally started coughing out the fiberglass in my lungs, the emergency room doctors didn't know about the fiberglass, I figured that out later myself.

It was not worth it, at one point I thought I was maybe going to rupture my lungs and drowned in my own blood in my lungs, it was terrible, do not breath in fiberglass dust, you will regret it, I did, there is still fiberglass dust under that cover in the bed, I have not went near it, I will put a real mask on and remove the cover and blow it out someday, or maybe it would be better to wash it out with a hose, that way it will not get airborne.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

That happened/started back in early October, it was over with by the end of October, I just thought that maybe someone would see what I did and do it themselves, I would hate for them to end up with the same result, it was really awful/terrible, don't do what I did, wear a mask that filters out the fiberglass if you do.

The result was alright(cover for the bed), but it really was not worth it, 4 months later I still think it was not worth it, and I did it to myself, it was a really stupid thing to do without a mask.

• Like 1