Volt Regulator

chester

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to know what the black wire was for, and my guess would be that if you replaced the black wire it would most likely melt again due to an internal fault, i.e. shorted coil . . . Either that or there is something shorted in the alternator, like a field winding. I would suggest using an ohmmeter and checking the terminals of the alternator for shorts to ground.

I'm half kidding. The 35 amp 620 alternator is just or only adequate for the truck. Headlights dim with the turn signal flashes. Heater speeds up and slows down too. Replacing with a 50 amp is a step in the right direction.

yeah i just put the 50am alt in on christmas eve then the front alt broke the 27th and i fixed the bolt yesterday and it started what it is doing now. when i get on it the charge light will go on about 2700 rpm or so maybe a little higher. at idle my volt gauge sit at 10 and if i rev it up a little the volt gauge goes up to 12.7-13. oh the only time the charge light will come on when i step on it is if something is on i.e. heater or something

Key is have the alternator load tested. The Napa I used to go to did this.

Other placers its just a voltage test. Or test it with the heater ON.

as for the wire buring up. Make sure the batter cables are good. Clean them!!!! and where they connect to ground.

If not a good ground it might try to find a ground else where.

I always have spare Volt regs and swap them out. as they are a EZ swap.