J15

boxboy

I have a guy that wants to part his 320 that he bought and later found out that it had been in a front end wreck and was too patched together to salvage. The attractive thing is a J15 engine that was rebuilt a few years back (I don't know how many) and then sat and only maintained occasionally. No tranny. I am assuming I can mate up my J13 tranny to the J15? I haven't heard it run yet (says something electrical rattled lose when he transported the rig).

What is it worth? What can I do to check it out if the thing can't be driven?

My thoughts are that this is a step up from my J13 in power, and also in parts availability. Am I wrong?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The J15 will bolt right up. Have one in my '68. The extra power exists, but I have 4.374 rear gears which are a better match to the J15's RPM range, so it's still kind of slow to get going. But, my 520 will do 70 fairly easily. You're really revving out a J15 if it had the original 4.88s.

The L16 makes more power. The HP ratings changed in the 70s so it only LOOKS like the engines made less power. Measured with the same method, The J13 was at 67, the J15 at 77, and the L16 was in the mid 90s. The same method had the L20B in the 110s. But the L-series is not a bolt-in to the 520.

Parts availability are really no different than the J13- they share 90% of the parts. Crankshaft and rods are different, maybe the block itself. Might want to check if it has the new-style timing cover- Mexican J15s did, but ones that were "converted" from forklift engines generally have a J13 front cover on them.

I would like to change the rear end in my truck anyway even if I stay with the J13. Mklotz did it in his NL and said the E1 even could handle it. I am not interested in a lot of off the line power. I am looking for mileage and reliability first. datsunaholic, you make it sound like I might as well keep what I've got. I guess if it was a deal and I could confirm it had a quality rebuild it might be worth it as a spare, or even to swap since I need to replace my clutch anyway. But if he wants a lot for it, maybe i'll put my efforts into sealing up my leaks and finding a taller rear end.

No one willing to say what they think it is worth?

The J15 will bolt right up. Have one in my '68. The extra power exists, but I have 4.374 rear gears which are a better match to the J15's RPM range, so it's still kind of slow to get going. But, my 520 will do 70 fairly easily. You're really revving out a J15 if it had the original 4.88s.

The L16 makes more power. The HP ratings changed in the 70s so it only LOOKS like the engines made less power. Measured with the same method, The J13 was at 67, the J15 at 77, and the L16 was in the mid 90s. The same method had the L20B in the 110s. But the L-series is not a bolt-in to the 520.

Parts availability are really no different than the J13- they share 90% of the parts. Crankshaft and rods are different, maybe the block itself. Might want to check if it has the new-style timing cover- Mexican J15s did, but ones that were "converted" from forklift engines generally have a J13 front cover on them.

Do you happen to know if the rod and main crankshaft bearings are the same?

I've seen guys spend mass amounts of money for less of a gain, it's about a 15% gain, that's about normal for a mild cam. The major question is parts availability, are you going to be happy with the 60 to 70hp that you can get with these engines, there are not many upgrades available.

I think I paid Mike $100 for my J16, and he had it running before he pulled it. I wouldn't spend a lot.

J15 bearings are the same as far as I can tell, but I've never had it open to verify. Main and rod bearing are relatively easy to find if you know the part number. The parts exist. The J16 was used in vehicles at least up until 1987, and many parts are the same.

Thanks Keith. Did you find Nissan bearings for your rebuild, or did you use an aftermarket source? I see them on Ebay, but I know the local forklift guy has aftermarket ones too. If the J15 doesn't work out, I may just do the rod bearings when I pull the motor to do the clutch just as a preventative measure. Or at least inspect them to make sure they're not loose.

I used the following:

Connecting Rod .25mm/.010 Clevite CB967P (FYI the Nissan Forklift part number is 12118-B3000)

Main .25mm/.010 Clevite MS1055G (FYI the Nissan Forklift part number is 12233-01W00)

Keith

Update that has nothing to do with the original topic.

I swapped some 4.374 gears that I got from Wayno in today. I've only gone about a 5 mile test ride, and so far I like it. No trouble starting out. It doesn't drop the RPMs at 55 as much as I thought it would, but it is a little easier on the little J13.

Thanks Wayno!

The L16 is the 96hp.

DSCN0063.jpg

As a rule of thumb there are about 18%- 20% drive train losses so 96hp which is measured at the crank, (some auto makers would test withiout water pumps, alternators, AC pumps, or even a flywheel so there was no parasitic losses so they could brag a higher HP output than the competition) and is also known a engine brake hp. 96hp then would be closer to today's 75 hp. Keep in mind that this is under absolutely perfect conditions of fuel delivery, and ignition timing and engine tune not normally like this in the real world.

Hi there ratsun folk, I posted the vin. plate oic. because somebody was talking about the hp. of the L20b as 96hp which I beleave is claimed to be 120hp give or take(mostly take) few ponys. But mostly I posted it to have something to post.:lol: Hey boxboy, if you did the 388 gears from 488 gears you would basicly be starting out in second with the 488 gears, do you think you could have started out in second the way it was, or if you were on a hill? your next gearing is 411, but i would give the 437s a chance, they might grow on you.:rolleyes: Hey datzenmike, is the J 13 block a long or short stroke engine?:unsure: wayno

• 11 years later...
On 1/4/2011 at 9:35 AM, datsunaholic said:

What do the 4.374 gears come out of

All L16 powered '70-'72 PL521

All 620 with the exception of the '73 automatic (4.625) and the '79 (4.11) but does offer optional 4.375.

'80 720 automatic.

'81-'82 720 4x4. Sometime in these years the pinion and U joint became larger so watch out. Flange spline changed also so can't swap them.

• Like 1